The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#98725 - 06/28/07 10:36 PM Skookum Bush Tool by Rod Garcia
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Our own Randy Schwert did an online review of a nice knife inspired by Mors Kochanski's writings

Ahhh, an opening to post a few images of this knife from a new maker. Excellent prices on a uniquely designed tool, from a very nice fellow. I could just not “Bear” to post this in the original thread where I grabbed Chris’s quote.....

Rod Garcia has tried to follow each of the design elements of Mors Kochanski’s “ideal” knife as he describes in Bushcraft. I have a full article over at JM's Outdoor-Magazine, but here are some teaser photos of this grand knife.

First the TIG welded buttplate,

I wanted to take a few shots of it along with some of my other favorite “essential” things…things that I think it fits in with quite well. Oiled canvas coat, pure wool vest, rabbit fur hat, hand braided baldric strap, waxed leather sheath….all perfect support players to this very well done knife.

I shaved off some very nice curls from a dry cherry stick. I practiced the curl directions by varying the angle of the curved blade. Excellent handle shape and feel made these curls easy….a few slips peeled off the nests but that is pretty normal for me.

A really nice feel in the hand coupled with a superbly sharp edge made this time fun. I was eyeing some saplings in the green space wondering if anyone would notice they were taken down….maybe next week.

Full article here:

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=341

#98739 - 06/29/07 03:07 AM Re: Skookum Bush Tool by Rod Garcia [Re: Schwert]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I sent an email immediately after reading your article. No reply yet, so Randy, how much is it?

#98755 - 06/29/07 04:46 AM Re: Skookum Bush Tool by Rod Garcia [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Rod's last quote was $175.

This is definately a knife I can see riding along with you. Quite impressive quality and execution in a very well priced package.

I would give him some leeway on the email, as he told me he has gotten quite a few orders lately....but a followup would not be a bad idea. Whitefish MT this time of year is pretty attractive and he may be out in the "bush".

Edited by Schwert (06/29/07 04:47 AM)

#100989 - 07/27/07 11:42 PM Re: Skookum Bush Tool by Rod Garcia [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Chris,

Have you heard back from Rod?

He is making a slightly smaller version now also that he calls the Carver. No steel buttplate and a shorter blade with wood scales, but otherwise with a very similar shape.

I am going to have to get on of those too.

#100991 - 07/28/07 12:37 AM Re: Skookum Bush Tool by Rod Garcia [Re: Schwert]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
That's one sweet looking knife.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 637 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.