Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#98629 - 06/28/07 04:42 AM Emergency Kit Article worth reading:
alvacado Offline

Loc: South Texas
A lot of discussion on another forum based on an article titled "What Should I know about Backcountry Emergency Kits?" found on traditionialmountaineering.org. I don't know how to post the link or I would.

Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm

#98631 - 06/28/07 05:10 AM Re: Emergency Kit Article worth reading: [Re: alvacado]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Interesting sales approach.

#98641 - 06/28/07 08:22 AM Re: Emergency Kit Article worth reading: [Re: alvacado]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US

#98654 - 06/28/07 03:10 PM Re: Emergency Kit Article worth reading: [Re: alvacado]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

The Mountaineers "Ten Essentials System" is virtually identical to the Sierra Club's "Ten Essentials" we learned in their Basic Mountaineering Course. It pretty much covers all the bases. We always added the Eleventh Essential - Toilet Paper. Not truly essential, but very handy.

Kevin B.

#98659 - 06/28/07 03:52 PM Re: Emergency Kit Article worth reading: [Re: KevinB]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Interesting and thought-provoking.

I find myself wondering if the term "emergency kit" does promote a false sense of security. Maybe it's worth thinking about preparedness in terms of "essentials" for leaving your house or your car or whatever, with the simple goal of being reasonably well equipped for the weather, terrain, and prevailing local conditions, emergency or otherwise. Rather than a sealed and seldom-used PSK, have a familiar and often-used assortment of "useful stuff" (essentials).

It dovetails nicely with the often-repeated topic on this and other forums of being familiar with your gear and practicing your skills in non-emergency situations, so that when the emergency comes you avoid many of the "what the heck do I do now?" moments.

Frank2135

#98663 - 06/28/07 04:46 PM Re: Emergency Kit Article worth reading: [Re: KevinB]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

While I think their list isn't too bad, I have to wonder about somebody who comes up with a "10 Essentials" list that has over 20 items on it like this one does. Slipping the word "System" in there really isn't all that clever. I'll bet somebody could come up with a "5 Essentials System" list that weighs 25 lbs. Oh wait, that's my BOB. grin

#98665 - 06/28/07 05:09 PM Re: Emergency Kit Article worth reading: [Re: norad45]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The 10 essentials list has been adjusted over the years. The basis of the list is good though. Add and delete as you wish, but know why you do.

#98666 - 06/28/07 05:12 PM Re: Emergency Kit Article worth reading: [Re: Russ]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Any list has two advantages -- one, its a list. You can look at it and see the stuff. Two it will make you either agree or disagee with the items -- which gets you thinking. TP is a great add!

#98670 - 06/28/07 05:32 PM Re: Emergency Kit Article worth reading: [Re: norad45]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: norad45
While I think their list isn't too bad, I have to wonder about somebody who comes up with a "10 Essentials" list that has over 20 items on it like this one does. Slipping the word "System" in there really isn't all that clever. I'll bet somebody could come up with a "5 Essentials System" list that weighs 25 lbs. Oh wait, that's my BOB. grin

What RAS said. The Sierra Club 10 Essentials are/were:

1. Map
2. Compass
3. Flashlight
4. Sunglasses
5. Extra food and water
6. Extra clothing
7. Waterproof matches
8. Candle
9. Pocketknife
10. First aid kit

Why sunglasses but not a hat or sunscreen? If you carry a flashlight shouldn't you also have extra bulbs and batteries? Why are food and water one item? Wouldn't a Bic be better than waterproof matches? A candle really isn't the best firestarter. And why are matches/candle two items while food/water are one? Why a pocketknife instead of a fixed blade or a multitool?

You see my point. Everyone customizes the 10 essentials according to their needs and preferences. The list isn't written on stone. It's just a tool to get you thinking in terms of navigation, protection from the elements, emergencies, etc.

A lot of people would never leave the house without a GPS, PLB, signal mirror, fishing kit, water purification system, etc. That's all fine and dandy. But if you literally had just the 10 items on the list you'd probably be in pretty good shape.

Kevin B.

#98680 - 06/28/07 06:29 PM Re: Emergency Kit Article worth reading: [Re: KevinB]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: KevinB
The Sierra Club 10 Essentials are/were:

1. Map
2. Compass
3. Flashlight
4. Sunglasses
5. Extra food and water
6. Extra clothing
7. Waterproof matches
8. Candle
9. Pocketknife
10. First aid kit
Another version of the list as mentioned in the article is:
1. Navigation
2. Sun Protection
3. Insulation (extra clothing)
4. Illumination
5. First-Aid Supplies
6. Fire
7. Repair Kit and Tools
8. Nutrition (extra food)
9. Hydration (extra water)
10. Emergency Shelter

This list is more general and a bit easier to modify. The pocketknife in the first list would just be one of the Repair Kit and Tools of the second list. I don't understand why they separated Extra food and water in the first list to two items in the second -- probably seemed like a good idea at the time. Use either list, modify as your situation dictates, but don't drop something on the premise that you'll borrow from Peter.
Quote:
Don't try to be a survivalist.
What does that comment mean?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 499 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.