The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#98494 - 06/26/07 11:53 PM Re: The Bear Grylls Knife [Re: KevinB]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
For the money, I'd take a handful of nice BRKTs and still have some cash left over for beer.

Bona Na Croin

#98500 - 06/27/07 01:00 AM Re: The Bear Grylls Knife [Re: wolf]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Ditto Wolf.

Ben...you haven't let us down. laugh

#98509 - 06/27/07 03:05 AM Re: The Bear Grylls Knife [Re: Stretch]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Given the premise of Bear's gig is sillynes I posted in kind. So all our brit members can stop forming squares like this is Rourke's Drift already. Right, now the phrase " give a brit a piece of metal and he'll do something silly with it" was first used in my presense by a retired Jag-u-ar Le Mans raceworks mechanic whilst tuning my MGA coupe's SUs with a Victoria penny.'Mongrel steel' is my phrase for anything you can't readily identify the parentage of; Sandvik, Surgical or modified XYZ crucible formed when 99.99% of the knife community has yet to hear of it. That is called poor salesmanship. Bear's fault lies in the probability some kid will try and duplicate his sillyness with tragic results. It happens. And yes, we probably could find fault with just about everyone. The survival tree is being shaken while it's popular. That a few nuts fall out is to be expected.If anybody is still upset with me, please 'come at me with that bannana." My Webley- Fosbury .455 with manstoppers is ready.

#98511 - 06/27/07 03:28 AM Re: The Bear Grylls Knife [Re: MichaelJ07]
Big_John Offline
Stranger

Loc: Utah
I think the knife will probable be on more episodes. On past episodes it has been the knife of the week. With the kick back, it will be the weekly knife now. Yeah, I watch it every week, looking foward to what he can find to eat.

#98517 - 06/27/07 05:28 AM Re: The Bear Grylls Knife [Re: Big_John]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Originally Posted By: Big_John
...looking forward to what he can find to eat.

or drink.

#98525 - 06/27/07 06:16 AM Re: The Bear Grylls Knife [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
but was it the good stuff or the "mucky yucky" stuff, Blast??

I got to drink the good stuff this time around!!!!

Bo

#98538 - 06/27/07 10:23 AM Re: The Bear Grylls Knife [Re: falcon5000]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I'd be hard pressed to pay more than $150.00 for a knife that I planned on using in the field, can say that most of the knives I use consistently didn't cost me much more than $75.00, and would go as far as saying that the rest of the knives I actually use cost between $10.00 and $30.00.

The Bear Grylls knife is probably more of a blade for collectors or fans of the show and will in most cases be displayed rather than used if I had my guess.

If he can sell a knife for that much just by name recognition, more power to him.

#98549 - 06/27/07 03:00 PM Re: The Bear Grylls Knife [Re: Nicodemus]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Y'know, it's funny that when you consider what is chosen by those who actually have a daily use for a large fixed blade, there are as many variations as there seem to be standards. Most will be satisfied with whatever happens to be available at the time, like what is issued to them. Some with a bit more experience, usually involving hapless incidents where their issue knife failed them at some point, come to the realization that tools that double as self defense items ought not be compromised on and so are all too happy to drop dime on something proven more reliable, usually in the hands of some elite unit, with a great reputation therein.

Then there are those who realize that a knife is what it is, in any of it's myriad forms and functions, and choose to use whatever is handy, be it issue, or otherwise, to get the task done. They are just as comfortable with a Spanish Mauser or AK-47 bayonet as with a Cold Steel Khukri or a KA-BAR issue fighting knife, or a Leatherman. They may still spend the money for a quality blade if they feel it is warranted, but not just because they can. I like that. I will take ingenuity and human adaption to the situation at hand as a far more precious trait than whatever the latest wondersteel and forging process can deliver anytime. The fact that I might also buy some of the most expensive knives on the market is just an attribute of my consumerism drive for excess, which has perhaps little to do with my penchant for survival. The way I see it, if you can't make that 99 cent plastic rain poncho work for ya, then acquiring a $100 piece of plastic ain't gonna do much for improving your odds. People always seem more attracted to the frosting without paying too much mind to what's under it, until they actually have to take a bite and find out just what it is they got.

Chris, you crack me up sometimes. We can always count on you to interject something interesting. I agree that you need to put more on the board from now on. Don't let us curmudgeons discourage you with our dogmatic and cynical posts.

#98563 - 06/27/07 07:03 PM Re: The Bear Grylls Knife [Re: benjammin]
StuToffee Offline

Loc: Stockport, Cheshire, UK
350 quid!!!!!

Youve gotta admire the cheek of this bloke! (I quite like the sheath, though!)

Probably slightly off topic, but Ive had little time for this guy since he drank UNTREATED water in the rainforest, spent most of the night puking & pooing heaven knows what out of his system & then exclaimed to camera "I dont know what I did wrong!?"

D'oh!!

#98564 - 06/27/07 07:10 PM Re: The Bear Grylls Knife [Re: StuToffee]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
The grip looks sooo uncomfortable!

Bear Grylls money machine = grappy knife.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.