Wow the wealth of ideas is amazing. It puts such a warm smile on my face. I mean talking disaster situations and not having anyone laugh, well at least being on the floor and laughing, it just heart warming!!

What I am really concerned about is not the actual blast of the bomb, but fallout.

With that in mind, from what I have read, fallout should take, normally about 12 hours to 3-4 days after the initial blast.

I live in the Coachella valley, Palm Springs area, of southern California. So I don't believe that this area would be a prime blast target for any terrorist. Now saying that does not mean I would feel as safe as if I lived in northern Idaho, but I don't think some people in the desert is what they are worried about.

The main area around us that would useful for someone to get to would be 29 Palms Military Base. The are about 140 miles away, but they are up a mountain range and then the area drops back down in elevation. So they are usually about 20 degrees cooler then we are down here in the valley.

The dropping of a shelter in the pool is a unique idea, so is the digging under the driveway, but neither is economically feasible.

I understand that the lead is still a good way to go, but for some reason I keep thinking that if I remember correctly, those lead aprons can't weigh that much. At least from whenever I got xrays. lol

Could I now put some hooks or something of the sort in the walls, and hang up the aprons when needed.

Like I said in the beginning, I know I am not covering every inch of area, but I am looking for the best situation I can get away with.

I plan on getting another house in the next year or so, with that house, I am looking at building some type of basement.

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin