Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#98304 - 06/24/07 02:28 PM Opinions on Yakima roof racks?
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Has anyone here used Yakima roof racks? I'm looking to add racks to our 2005 Honda Pilot to make hauling my canoe and other gear easier. Currently the Pilot does not have any roof racks, though for $800 plus tax Honda can install some. eek

The Yakima "Q Tower" removable system will fit the Pilot, but I'd like some real life feedback on them before making the purchase. If you have any can you tell me:

1. How securely do they attach to your vehicle?
2. How well do the hold your gear?
3. Would you buy thm again?
4. Is there a better option out there for under $400?

Thanks.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#98307 - 06/24/07 03:26 PM Re: Opinions on Yakima roof racks? [Re: Blast]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Both Yakima and Thule rack systems are awesome products.
They are almost they same rack; one made in Sweden one in Yakima Washington. Yakima has round bars while Thule's are rectangular.
My best advice is to compare both brands. Some makes and models of car may have a better fit from one or the other company.

I don't know about a sub $400 option but you can also buy it part by part starting with just the bars, towers and fit kit. Then you can buy bike racks, ski racks later. Also if you have an REI nearby they always have some rack parts in their "scratch and Dent sale" which is returned (usually in fine condition)merchandise.

The racks both lock to the car and lock you gear really well. The locks are not absolute but it would take time, tools and knowledge of the system to get away with stealing gear or the racks themselves. That said I would not leave a rack with expensive gear on it unattended, overnight in most large towns and cities.

All in all you can't go wrong with Yakima racks.

Edited by billym (06/24/07 03:26 PM)

#98334 - 06/25/07 03:04 AM Re: Opinions on Yakima roof racks? [Re: Blast]
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
Nissan cut a deal with Yakima for parts for the Xterra, so that's what I got. I had a bike rack on top until I had a somewhat catastrophic bicycle dismount in the parking garage at work.

I rarely use the rack for what it is advertised for. I carry radio equipment and lumber on it. The oar holders are fantastic for carrying radio masts, and the gunwale brackets hold lumber and ladders very securely. The round bars work well with unistrut and pipe brackets to make long, vehicle length supports for carrying 4'x8' plywood.

The first Yakima part I actually got was the Safari basket, which is too small for a lot of my needs. Not sure what to do about that.

Had the rack & parts for about 6 years, still work well. Here are some picks that show the rack, eh, not too well, but sort of. I can get more detailed pics if you have a desire.

http://www.n5oom.org/2007_WildRide/Photos/large/P5190155.JPG
http://www.n5oom.org/2007_WildRide/Photos/large/P5190154.JPG

#98346 - 06/25/07 01:49 PM Re: Opinions on Yakima roof racks? [Re: beadles]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I've used Yakima racks for years (20?) on three different vehicles, and I've been more than happy with them. I mostly haul canoes, lumber, dog crates, and other stuff - not bikes, so I don't use any fancy-shmansy attachment gear - just tie it down with ropes or straps. Consider the width of the bars carefully - just to make sure they're wide enough to handle whatever you need to carry. Also consider whether you want it so wide as to knock you senseless in the head everytime you get out of the vehicle (spoken from experience).

I've been told that one of the benefits of the round rack is that attachments can be attached at any angle, and you're not limited to the angle at which a rectangular rack sits on the vehicle. I used rectangular wooden racks for many years before the Yakima, and had no problem in the rectangular world.

I would guess either would do you fine. In that case I'd recommend buying an American-made product (note flag waving).

Ken

Edited by KenK (06/25/07 01:49 PM)

#98358 - 06/25/07 05:52 PM Re: Opinions on Yakima roof racks? [Re: Blast]
miner Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Layton, Utah
I bought a Yakima rack about 12 years ago. It fit a Mazda Protege. I bought some type of basket that attached to it and used it to haul camping gear. Never had a problem or a complaint. Occasionally hauled a ladder with it too.

Eventually upgraded to a truck. I've considered buying new mounting towers(?) and putting it on the truck but have never needed it (i.e. never took so much stuff that the truck bed could not haul it).

My rack is sitting in the attic and I'd be willing to make someone a deal on it. Think I have a lock set on it, 4 towers for a 92 Mazda, 2 "bars" (I think they are each 4 feet long), and the basket. Shipping would probably be the biggest part of it but I don't think their system has changed much since I bought mine. I'm in the Salt Lake City area if arrangements can be made to avoid shipping.

I'd need to check it out to make sure I have a key and that it is all still there but if anyone is interested, PM me and we can start trying to figure it out. I think it is in real good shape considering I've had it for as long as I have.

#98368 - 06/25/07 09:38 PM Re: Opinions on Yakima roof racks? [Re: Blast]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
1. Rock solid but it took me a while to trust them/ I had two sets: one that clamped to rain gutter and I carried 3 70 lbs kayaks on them... another one is mounted now to my factory rock and is doing great. Find out if there is something you can put under it to prevent clamp marks from overtighting.

2. Again rock solid but you have to tie down front and rear of your canoe so vibrations don't loose up the screws of mounting brackets. Otherwise after every trip just go over your setup. Since I live in NYC my racks come off after every trip so I just go over them.

3. There is not really anything better out there. Thule make comparable system but it is all the same.

4. Unless you do foam blocks and straps I don't think you can do better. Another option is a trailer which I looked into and it was attractive but I had a storgae issue.

#98425 - 06/26/07 12:52 PM Re: Opinions on Yakima roof racks? [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the input everybody. It sounds like the Yakima racks would be a solid investment.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#98427 - 06/26/07 01:04 PM Re: Opinions on Yakima roof racks? [Re: Blast]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I did that foam thing for a while and than went with dedicated racks... Takes maybe a little longer to set up and costs more but it is a worry free ride.

#98430 - 06/26/07 01:14 PM Re: Opinions on Yakima roof racks? [Re: Polak187]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

I'm currently using foam blocks. Luckily, DW is too short to see the dents they left in the roof of her Honda. blush

-Blast

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 356 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Ren
07/09/24 01:13 PM
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.