Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: DeathtoToasters

Any advice on food storage suppliers that don't specialize in Sodium?

Here's my 2¢:

My personal feeling is that instead of amassing a pile of "survival rations" that it's more practical to just increase the amount of food you normally have on hand and rotate it through your normal usage. Instead of keeping a 1 week supply of the food you normally eat in the house, keep a 2 week supply of the stuff that doesn't require refrigeration/freezing.

If you have young kids, getting them to eat "Curds with Whey, Vegetarian, Shelf-Stable, Fortified, 1 ea" in an emergency may pose more of a problem than anticipated. Economically it's a bit more feasible as well, every time you go grocery shopping you can pick up extra items (2 bags of flour instead of one, 8 cans of soup vs. 4, etc), especially if they happen to be on sale.

On the other hand, if you anticipate a bug out situation or difficulty retrieving your supplies from the rubble that once was your home, a few days worth of pre-packaged meals in an easy to access location (garage, tool shed, etc) isn't a bad idea. I do a lot of camping & backpacking so I keep enough freeze-dried meals to feed the family (DW+3 kids) for at least 2 days with my immediate evac kit, but a bug out situation is pretty far down on my threat list.

Basically, I'd recommend developing a list of potential threats and how you plan on dealing with them and then figure out what's the best route for you.

I totally agree with you. That is part of the situation I am running into. I am trying to find food storage supplies that are normal food we are used to.

Lasagnas, Pasta dishes, chicken, good chunky soups, muffin mixes, etc.

Not the regular MRE's. Although I have some of them. We don't have the canning abilities we had up in Utah. So it is much harder to figure out.

Any suggestions?

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin