Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I just re-read the entire thread and failed to find anything "unseemly".

I think, and I guess some other members feel the same way, otherwise the thread wouldn't have been locked, that some of the speculation raised by others seems to speak ill of Sgt Sprader unfairly.

Well, first, I say "unfairly" because this speculation is not based on facts. Suicide? Any evidence to suggest he committed suicide? Prohibited supplements? PTSD? Pride? Something like suicide is a serious thing to allude to when there is no factual basis to make that statement and is something that can really upset people who knew him. If he left a journal full of emotional turmoil, that's one thing, but there is no evidence to indicate that this was anything more than a terrible accident.

Secondly, raising these possibilities can be perceived as being disrespectful for the recently deceased. Even if the poster does not directly suggest that Sgt Sprader is/did these things, raising these issues in the context of the thread that also describes his death gives that impression. That's just the way it comes across. I'm sure that there are countless examples of well-meaning people who were just trying to be "helpful" or "informative" saying things that are perceived by others as "blaming the victim" or "speaking ill of the dead".

Anyway, I don't want to belabor the point too much. If you honestly don't find a problem with the thread, OK, that's your opinion and your opinion is just a valid is mine. We all have varying sensibilities when it comes to what is or isn't appropriate in different situations. I'm just saying that I agree with those who had some issues with this thread.