Duct tape is the standard for repairing everything. It is made by many manufacturers. Some good, some better, some top of the line and some not worth the shelf space they take up. One of the worst is Duck tape. They chose the name because it sounds like duct tape to trade off the name recognition. Because it is so cheap it is sold in most Mart type stores to the average homeowner.

Duct tape as its name implies is used in the HVAC industry to seal joints on heating and ventilation ductwork. Where it is ment to last for the life of a building. Duck just can't match that performance.

I haven't tried the Gorilla brand. But have for years relied on the Nashua brand. I ran across it in the navy. You probably won't find it in your local mart, hardware or even home repair center. The only place you can get it is a store that caters to the professional HVAC installers. Along with other top brand. But to get premium quality expect to pay top dollar.

Good quality tape will last in storage fairly well. Remember it is ment to last on heating ducts for years of cycles.

For a small packet I use common household wax paper. And have never had problems. I use a strip about 6 inches long an just a little wider than the tape. This makes a packet about the same dementions of money and the number of layers determines how thick. About 1 foot per full wrap. 5 or 6 feet makes a package that fits nicely in a wallet. Yes I carry a second wallet dedicated to emergency gear. I have had such packets of the Nashua brand that have lasted several years of being sat on for several years. Until it was needed for something and had to be replaced.

And always remember TANSTAAFL