Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#98224 - 06/23/07 04:07 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: Biscuits]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Checkout True North and The North Face waist packs. IMO they are better built and more versatile than the Maxpedition comparables. They are also not "tactical" in appearance, a plus for EDC.

#98618 - 06/28/07 02:54 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: acropolis5]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I have two maxpedition backpacks and they are awesome! I can only assume their versipacks are as awesome as the backpacks.

-Todd

#98738 - 06/29/07 02:11 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: chubs]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I have both the Fatboy and Jumbo Fatboy. For small to tiny shoulder bags they are certainly well made. However, the fatboy is too tiny to be much use if you carry a bottle of water so I would avoid it.

The jumbo has a 1L bottle pocket which is its best feature. The main compartment and other pockets are decently arranged but again sort of small. This one would work fine for daily carry of a small amount of junk.

Their shoulder strap arrangement coupled with a belt attachment is very good, the belt tab keeps the thing from swinging and can transfer some of the weight to your belt.

They are quite overbuilt and really not very useful shoulder bags for say a day walk, where you might want a camera, water, a jacket or poncho, and a few other items. All the accessory pouches etc that they sell once attached makes this an odd monster of fabric and straps with even more limited use in my view.

Try to see them in person as I was appaled at how small the fatboy really was...almost useless really.

The best online review of these two bags can be found over at British Blades by MattW.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13857&highlight=fatboy

Overall I think the jumbo may be a decent bag for your daily carry needs, but I find it too small to be my first choice. I would rather carry a Filson field bag or a Billingham camera bag as they are way more versatile.

As to a BOB bag, I use inexpensive duffels or plastic storage totes, not BOB's really but go-kits for various purposes.

Now that I have these two Maxpedition bags (along with a couple of belt pouches) I do not think I will ever buy anything else from them. They seem to have a neat factor but for the most part a very restricted use factor. In other words, I find their form does not fit their function. All design....no practical use. Well made, but useless. Sorry to be so harsh.

#98748 - 06/29/07 03:53 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: Schwert]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Here is a video review of The S-Type Jumbo Versipack

P.S. I'm not that geek in the video...lol eek

#98758 - 06/29/07 05:14 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: Themalemutekid]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

He does a pretty nice video demo...

Of course, I would like to see him try to fill one of those and carry it around a bit. I think it would rate a less enthusiastic thumb then.

When I got my fatboy I was pretty excited that it would work, carried it, rearranged it, carried it, left it home in the closet. Then the jumbo came out and I thought great, finally the right size and much better configuration. Well is was, but after many attempts it too resides mostly in the closet.

The old Filson bag is vastly better for my daily carry as it does not restrict my options to essentially nothing.

#98759 - 06/29/07 05:51 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: Schwert]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

I said he was a geek cuz of these pictures on his website...looks kinda geeky to me...

#98761 - 06/29/07 05:56 AM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: Themalemutekid]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

grin

Yeah I think he may qualify.

Maybe I need to fill my fatboy with CheezIt's and see how it works eh laugh

#141699 - 07/27/08 07:29 PM Re: Maxpedition Versipacks [Re: Schwert]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Not trying to bump an older thread, but I just picked up a jumbo myself. I'm in love!! grin I've been wanting one for a long time, but wanted to handle one before buying. I finally got to see one in person @ a local place here in Jersey. It fulfills all of my EDC needs and then some. I highly recomemd it. Picked it up at Cigars & Fire Trucks in Bernardsville NJ.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 348 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.