Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#97937 - 06/20/07 02:05 PM Re: Proper boating safety during lightning? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
The shoreline is not safe according to NOAA because it is either an open space and you are the tallest structure or you are too close to tall trees, another no no. My strategery, if in a canoe or kayak, would be to:

1. At the first sound of thunder or lightning of an approaching thunderstorm, get to the shoreline asap
2. Take your life jacket or foam sleeping pad and appropriate clothing to remain warm and dry, leaving anything metallic behind
3. Go beyond the trees about 200 ft if possible and wait it out with the 30-30 rule (or whatever you feel comfortable doing)
4. If you cannot get 200 ft into the trees, look for the lowest spot but stay about 40 ft from the treeline and assume the lightning safety position (squat down on pad, feet together, head down, hands over ears)
5. If you are with several people, spread out at least 15 feet apart, but within hearing distance of each other
6. At any time, if your hair stands on end or you hear other evidence of impending lightning strike nearby, assume the lightning safety position
7. Pray for your life and repent of your sins : )

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/resources/LightningFactsSheet.pdf

#97938 - 06/20/07 02:14 PM Re: Proper boating safety during lightning? [Re: jshannon]
jshannon Offline
Addict

P.S. Lightning safety awareness week is next week.

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/week.htm

Lightning is the number 2 weather-related killer in the country (afer floods), number 1 if you live in Florida.

#97953 - 06/20/07 04:24 PM Re: Proper boating safety during lightning? [Re: Blast]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
It reminds me of an anecdote when I was camping once. There was an interesting spot for fishing, a small lake that was supposed to have rare native red trouts in it but the only way to reach it was to cross a larger lake and do some hiking the other side. But everytime we tried to cross the lake on a rented slow clumsy rowboat a nasty storm appeared. We tried three different times. It was as if Thunder God wanted to prevent us from capturing native trouts. We finally gave up. When the lightning was striking we went to the shore and then back to camp.

#97994 - 06/21/07 12:16 AM Re: Proper boating safety during lightning? [Re: Blast]
Coastie09 Offline
I didn't float test my chipping hammer, honest Chief!

Loc: Connecticut
It was already mentioned briefly, but I wouldn't have been standing. I've heard that squatting on the balls of your feet is the best position to be in when caught out in the open like that.

And yes, large, metal boats are grounded through the water. To the best of my knowledge, we've never had anyone KIA in a storm from lightning.

#98247 - 06/23/07 04:46 PM Re: Proper boating safety during lightning? [Re: Susan]
ibfestus Offline
stranger

I was bass fishing with a top water bait on Lake Barkely. The sun was shining and the clouds did not appear threatening. I made a cast and my line would not fall into the water. It stayed suspended 1-2 feet in the air and suddenly my hair was standing on end. I threw the rod down and without even pulling up the trolling motor, started the engine and ran the boat aground. As soon as the fiberglass bass boat touched the shore, I leaped out and ran 20 yards and dived under a cut bank. Within seconds there was a blinding flash and thunder so loud I couldn't hear a thing for an hour or more.

Thank God the lightening hit a tree some 100 yards away.

I know of one other incident where a fiberglass bass boat was idling along on lake Millwood in AR when it was struck. The boat literally exploded into a thousand pieces. The two occupants some how survived with only minor injuries.

Just my 2 cents.

#98272 - 06/24/07 12:35 AM Re: Proper boating safety during lightning? [Re: ibfestus]
jshannon Offline
Addict

dang..you experienced it first hand...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 356 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Ren
07/09/24 01:13 PM
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.