Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97808 - 06/18/07 11:00 PM sippy cup mom incident at the airport !
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

This video shows incident at the airport which TSA harass a mother carrying 19months old toddler. The mother was angry and distraught that she spilled her son's sippy cup on the ground. The TSA arrested her for spilling the liquid. They claim that she was endangering the public.
What do you guys think of this video?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6b8_1182113545

Edited by picard120 (06/18/07 11:02 PM)

#97811 - 06/19/07 12:32 AM Re: sippy cup mom incident at the airport ! [Re: picard120]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I read this the other day and really wondered just how much "priviledge" she thought she should get because she was a former Secret Service person. To the airport security, she claimed she was presently a ss officer not a former!

Then obviously it took her two hands to open the cup and deliberately spill it in her little tantrum.

The old saying of "some people's children..." should be revised to "some people's parents..."

#97821 - 06/19/07 03:48 AM Re: sippy cup mom incident at the airport ! [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I can't get the video to play on my aircard/dialup/slowmo system, but I suspect that there were a lot of hormones flowing on both sides of this issue. I have a hard time believing that TSA didn't have something available for her to dump her Tommytippy cup, or its contents, into. And I suspect that she would have missed whatever container happened to be there. Statements being made by both parties. As for her "former" SS status, big deal. Even if she were still employed by the SS, big deal. People don't like law enforcement types getting special breaks, in this case with good reason. Carry a gun, OK, break the other rules, no way...

#97864 - 06/19/07 07:47 PM Re: sippy cup mom incident at the airport ! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
There really is no place to dump water that you've forgotten in your bag if you want to keep the bottle. I suppose you can dump the water in the "restricted items" bin they have at the beginning of the security line (looks like a garbage can), but if you pass it and forget you have to drink it all right there. That's what I've done. I figure my chugging only holds up the line for a couple of minutes.

Honestly, isn't there some kind of litmus test the TSA can use to tell the difference between liquid explosives and the building block of life (water)??

#97885 - 06/20/07 12:21 AM Re: sippy cup mom incident at the airport ! [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
There some things that will cover most explosive compounds, and pretty much all of the liquid ones that I've ever heard of, but I wouldn't eat anything they've been used on. smile

I've haven't flown in a while. Since the no-liquids thing went into effect, have they relaxed it enough that you can buy water on the other side of the security checkpoint?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#98001 - 06/21/07 01:49 AM TSA and Commercial Flying [Re: picard120]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I love flying but I do not care to have to deal with TSA. I do my best not to use commercial flights. Which basically means that I have decided not to fly from Pt A. to Pt B.

#98054 - 06/21/07 01:40 PM Re: TSA and Commercial Flying [Re: wildman800]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I drive too. Much rather take my truck with me than rent a sub-compact at the other end. As for SS or any LEO getting perks like not being arrested or harassed, that doesn't work with tantrums in an airport. I agree though that they should have a place to dump liquids.

#98262 - 06/23/07 08:54 PM Re: TSA and Commercial Flying [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
That seems strange. Last time I was stopped at security with liquid, I merely had to dump it at a water fountain. This would have been in the UK, though.

#98303 - 06/24/07 02:19 PM Re: TSA and Commercial Flying [Re: Brangdon]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, I finally got burned by TSA. They wound up destroying my hard case Samsonite because some TSA idiot couldn't figure out how to operate the TSA lock built into the suitcase.

Believe me when I say, THERE IS NO REMEDY with these folks. The airlines says it is strictly a TSA problem so they accept no liability. TSA says they are entitled to take whatever measures necessary to open the case, so obviously the lock must've been broken or they wouldn't have had to pry it apart like they did (yeah right). They couldn't care less about my loss, that's not what they get paid to do. They are "agents of the government, accountable to no one", or so I was finally informed.

Fortunately I was smart enough to buy it at a Costco, so I will just take it back and get my money back. Thanks to their unconditional refund policy, I always have a means of hedging against the incompetence/contempt of those in authority for such things. Dealing with the Costco employees is far less strenuous and much more productive than engaging TSA employees in an argument which I can never win.

#98306 - 06/24/07 02:55 PM Re: TSA and Commercial Flying [Re: benjammin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
At the risk of getting stern words from the mods...

Ben, I think your case illustrates a classical test of animal intelligence: Monkeys with a locked box.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 514 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.