Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#97721 - 06/18/07 12:47 AM Wilderness Survival Kit (with pictures)
Buckshot13 Offline
Stranger

Loc: CA
Here's some pictures of my newest survival kit that I just put together. The main purpose of having the kit would be for wilderness survival. I have seperate backpacks for camping, hunting, and fishing and wanted to have a small survival kit that I could put into whatever pack that I am using at the time. This kit just has the basics in it. In the backpacks there are other items such as 50 feet of paracord, poncho, TP, extra clothing, backup knife & flashlight, batteries, larger first aid kit, compass, GPS, ammo, food & water, etc... Also I think it is worth mentioning that I always carry a fixed blade knife, flashlight, ferro rod, and a cell phone on my person when venturing out into the woods. Anyway, here's what I put into the kit:

Stainless steel mug (12 oz)
Bottle of 2% Iodine (1 oz)
Magnesium & flint firestarter with striker on lanyard
Waterproof match case with 18 matches & 3 striker strips
Small water bags (2)
Whistle/Compass/Thermometer/Magnifying lens
Space blanket
Red bandana
Small roll duct tape
Roll of dental floss (55 yards)
Snare wire (10 feet)
550 Paracord (3½ feet)
Waterproof case with 6 fish hooks, 5 sinkers, 5 safety pins, and 1 needle

Mini First Aid kit:
Moleskin squares (2)
Band-Aids (3)
Knuckle Band-Aids (2)
Butterfly sutures (2)
Tweezers
Cleansing towelettes (2)
Medicated towelettes (2)
Afterbite packet
Antibiotic ointment
Tylenol packets (2)
Benadryl packet
Imodium AD packet
Antacid packet

Here is some other info on the kit: I chose the iodine as a backup to boiling for water purification, reason being that I could also use it for minor wounds. The small water bags are actually the hot beverage bags from a couple MREs. They seem very sturdy. I included the short peice of paracord basically for a bow & drill. The first aid kit is very small, but I just wanted to carry something for minor cuts and scrapes. When going camping or deeper into the woods I carry my larger first aid kit which has much more supplies. All the items fit into a small 3x4x6" pouch.
I would eventually like to include a small signal mirror, and a Sawyer extractor snake bite kit (lots of rattlesnakes here in CA!)
Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Buckshot13 (06/18/07 01:21 AM)

#97723 - 06/18/07 01:09 AM Re: Wilderness Survival Kit (with pictures) [Re: Buckshot13]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
excelent post can't see the pictures though. Going to add some items to my edc kit soon.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#97728 - 06/18/07 03:29 AM Re: Wilderness Survival Kit (with pictures) [Re: Buckshot13]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Hmm... Things I'd want to see:

-Spare folding knife
-More paracord, if you can
-More tinder
-Better whistle, with one of the combo compass/thermometer key chains as a pull tab
-Mirror
-Upgrade the sewing needle in terms of size- can that one handle dental floss?
-small bic lighter
-mylar -> heatsheet (more effective based on testing by forum members, more robust, and more visable- silver just looks like a puddle a thousand feet up)

And last I heard it discussed here, there was some rather significant doubt as to the effectiveness of the Extractor and similiar items.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#97767 - 06/18/07 03:52 PM Re: Wilderness Survival Kit (with pictures) [Re: ironraven]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Spare folding knife, fresnel lens, signaling mirror, cash, 1 page of survival instructions, spare cell battery, tiny susscreen, sunglassses...

#97788 - 06/18/07 06:21 PM Re: Wilderness Survival Kit (with pictures) [Re: teacher]
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
You may want to get Benadryl Strips instead of caplets. Strips won't get crushed or wet, you can carry more strips than you can caplets, and the shelf life is usually longer.

#97789 - 06/18/07 06:24 PM Re: Wilderness Survival Kit (with pictures) [Re: teacher]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I don't think spare cell battery, tiny susscreen, sunglassses are needed, because he already carry's these items on his person/in the backpack.

The whistle is fine, I also use it in some of my kit's. I would add a couple of coffee-filters for pre-filtering water.

All in all, nice kit! Is that FAK a AMK pocket-doc?

#97891 - 06/20/07 01:08 AM Re: Wilderness Survival Kit (with pictures) [Re: JIM]
Buckshot13 Offline
Stranger

Loc: CA
Thanks everybody for the inputs!

A couple things I forgot to mention is that I always have a small lighter in my pocket, a small Gerber folding knife on my keys, and I keep a fresnel lens in my wallet. I will upgrade the needle and will add a small mirror and some printed survival instructions (along with some knot tying instructions).

Those Benadryl strips are a great idea. I'm going to have to look into getting some.

The first aid kit is an AMK that I picked up from the BX. I really like how compact it is.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 359 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
Today at 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.