Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9772 - 10/05/02 02:07 PM folding shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone tryed the folding shovel on<br>http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/british_military/frames.htm<br>described as "A three-way folding compact mini shovel / pick / saw. Standard military design. Toughly constructed from high grade steel."<br>Can anyone recomend a good folding shovel?<br><br>

#9773 - 10/05/02 02:47 PM Re: folding shovel
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi Pete,<br><br>The 3-way folding shovel that I found on that site is a cheap Chinese copy of the official Nato 3-way folding shovel.<br>That thing weighs approx half of that of the original military one and if you want quality go to a military surplus store were you live or on the web and buy a used but good original Nato folding shovel.<br><br>I bought a few of them for about $15 they were used but in excellent working condition Dutch Army 3-way folding Nato shovels.<br>You can sharpen one side and you can really get an edge on it! and the other side is with a wave pattern that also can be sharpened.<br><br>In short if you want a 3-way folding shovel get a used original military one, it oprobably will outlive you.<br><br>Best Scouting wishes from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera

#9774 - 10/05/02 03:46 PM Re: folding shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks bagheera, I notice how you always reply to my posts politly, patiently and helpfully<br>thanks

#9775 - 10/08/02 01:44 PM Re: folding shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll second Bagheera's recommendation. I got my folding shovel at my local army surplus dealer, used, for about $20. The quality is worlds ahead of the cheap ones you see everywhere else. <br><br>Even though any folding shovel is undersized for seroius digging, you could put a real military shovel to very hard use. I would not want to rely on a cheap imitation as they seem flimsy by direct comparison.

#9776 - 10/08/02 02:38 PM Re: folding shovel
Blues Offline

I purchased a Coghlan's version which I keep in my SUV (along with axe, blanket and folding saw) through REI. It may not be the best available but REI warrants the product and will replace it should it ever prove faulty. One of the good things about making a purchase through a reputable dealer.

Live Free Or Die

#9777 - 10/21/03 06:09 AM Re: folding shovel
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use the Glock spade, light & compact.

GLOCKŪ EXTENDABLE - COLLAPSIBLE FIELD SPADE

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 538 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.