Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#97999 - 06/21/07 01:34 AM Re: man vs. wild (bear in the everglades) your input? [Re: ]
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
Eating the raw zebra was the last straw for me. I found myself yelling at the tv, "you have a knife in your hand!!!" He used the knife to cut the hide, then ripped the meat off the carcass with his teeth. Why you would put your face right into a dead zebra and pull off chunks with your teeth when you have a perfectly good knife in your hand.... I was expecting a lion to sneak up on him while he wasn't looking.

Personally, assuming that the meat was fresh enough as he suggested, I would have used the knife to cut off a large chunk and carried it away from the carcass. Why tempt fate? There are a lot of other scavangers big enough to ruin your whole day, that it wouldn't be advisable to hang around.

I don't think I will be watching him again after that one. I always thought he was dangerous, but this one tops the cake.

#98005 - 06/21/07 02:19 AM Re: man vs. wild (bear in the everglades) your input? [Re: Seeker890]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Ahhhh. Glad to hear Bear's sitcom will remain funny.

#98098 - 06/21/07 06:24 PM Re: man vs. wild (bear in the everglades) your input? [Re: Stretch]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
I like the show, but only because I take it with a grain of salt and keep the Hollywood goals in mind. I do wish they would put a disclaimer at the beginning which at least tells people to stay put if at all possible when lost.

The Everglades episode was probably the tamest and most realistic one yet. I do wish he would have shown ways to deal with the mosquitoes (like wearing mud), and maybe a few plant-based food options. smile

#98151 - 06/22/07 08:56 AM Re: man vs. wild (bear in the everglades) your input? [Re: m9key]
bat69 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fl, USA
well, I live in south florida ( broward county )and am out in the everglades at least 4-6 times a month in my boat. ( a flat bottomed, duck boat with an outboard motor)

It's probably one of the most inhospitibale areas for being stranded I can imagine. I carry a considerable amount of survival equipment with me on board the boat every time I hit the water. Being standed in the everglades over night would be a very unpleasant experience, even with all the gear.

While I like bear grylls, I consider his show entertainment, especially this episode... I also laughed my posterior off at most of it. I'm sorry, but I dont for a second truly believe he spent the night out there, he would have needed a few pints of blood after sleeping on that platform.

In the areas of the everglades I frequent ( water management areas 1,2,3, rottenberger, and areas south of I-75 ) the terrain is ALOT more hostile than that. It would essentialy be impassible to a human being on foot, period. you would sink up to your knees in mud, or be forced to wade and swim for many miles in water that has not only leeches in it, but also has a prolific alligator population that actually do see man as prey. (His fear of swimming that canal might have seemed like hype but it was very, very, justified. )

Without a "bug suit" , mosquito net or tent/bivy bag to get into, you would be positively, absolutely be eaten alive by mosquitos after dark. Bug dope, even 100% deet is only marginally affective. you need a physical barrier between the bugs and you. That little smokey fire he had? please...

He was correct about it all looking the same in every direction out there, especially in the wetlands. Its super easy to get disoriented out there without a compass or GPS.

The episode was good for the entertainment value for me, but A real situation out there would probably be very different..

#98159 - 06/22/07 01:25 PM Re: man vs. wild (bear in the everglades) your inp [Re: bat69]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: bat69
...Without a "bug suit" , mosquito net or tent/bivy bag to get into, you would be positively, absolutely be eaten alive by mosquitos after dark. Bug dope, even 100% deet is only marginally affective. you need a physical barrier between the bugs and you. That little smokey fire he had? please...

Great point, Bat. Thanks for the on-location perspective & expertise. Good stuff.

#98216 - 06/23/07 01:55 AM Re: man vs. wild (bear in the everglades) your input? [Re: bat69]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Fact remains, the Creeks, Seminoles, and the soldiers who were ordered after them slogged it out in that very terrain for many years with no bug suits, no Deet, and darn little else.

'Course, lots of 'em died of just about every disease imaginable. Too bad Bear wasn't there as an advisor.

Wait, that sounds cruel. Too bad Bear wasn't there to advise them and reduce their casualties with his vast knowledge of, well, everything. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Frank 2135

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 80 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
06/16/24 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.