The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#97620 - 06/16/07 01:13 AM new tinder source, very stable
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The other day I found a box of strike anywhere's in the hardware store (inventory glitch, they got a case it was the last one left), so of course they are getting varnished. Last night when I was checking to see if I had enough varnish left in the can to do this, I had an idea so I dipped a couple of cotton balls and let them dry for 24 hours.

Downside: Not very compressable.

Upside: It BURNS!! I brought a match to one of these guys, and it was burning in maybe two seconds, and it kept burning for about three minutes. A nice yellow flame, no sputtering, no drop in flames until just before the very end.

Beats anything I've ever done with a pj ball by approximately 50% burn time and it was throwing more light the entire time; and purell on a cotton ball isn't even close. I took the second one, poured water over it, shook it dry, and it took off almost as easily as the first.

I'm going to let the third continue drying, to be sure, but I think I've found a nice all weather tinder. I'm also going to try dipping some sisal cord.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#97629 - 06/16/07 02:17 AM Re: new tinder source, very stable [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Now why didn't I think of that? Cool...

#97637 - 06/16/07 03:09 AM Re: new tinder source, very stable [Re: ironraven]
DougM Offline

Be VERY careful, many varnishes contain things you do NOT want to inhale (drying OR burning, (matches don't matter as much, they're smaller)).

#97647 - 06/16/07 04:15 AM Re: new tinder source, very stable [Re: ironraven]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
question? how do you varnish a match.? with a brush, or do you dip it in the varnish. If you dip them, do you do the whole match or just the head? Is varnish better than nail polish?

Not trying to be funny, just trying to learn a new process. smile

#97680 - 06/17/07 12:38 AM Re: new tinder source, very stable [Re: big_al]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
When varnish them, I dip one tip first about 3/4s the way down and put it on a rack made out of chicken wire to dry for 24 hours. Then I repeat the process with the butt end. And tommorrow, I'll finish up the current batch by dipping them tip first again then they'll checked on monday for anything odd and left to dry on the rack until wensday. I use oak tone shellac, that way I can tell at a glance is there is a spot that was missed.

And DougM, I know all about the funky fumes. Wheeeeee..... :P Not really. I do this on a room with windows on both ends. One window has a fine in it suck air in from the outside, the other is set up with an exhaust fan. And a third fan is behind me, to vent fumes away.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#97693 - 06/17/07 06:32 AM Re: new tinder source, very stable [Re: ironraven]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
SHellac now...that's a different story. That ain;t varnish. Shellac, being made from lac bug excrete (you can eat the stuff if you dare, it's safe) and denatured alcohol, should not give off many noxious fumes when burned. Additionally, when the shellac dries, the alcohol has evaporated, and you're left with a coating of lac. I'm not a chemist, so maybe when burned there's some chemical reaction that makes the fumes unsafe, but I'm just reasoning it's relatively safe based on the ingredients. ALso, if you're dipping matches in shellac, you ought to be able to handle them and dip the other end in about 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the freshness of the mixture.

Varnish now is different. While I don;t think that lighting varnish-soaked matches is going to harm anyone, including nearby insects or the ozone layer, it stands to reason the fumes would be noxious...and dangerous if burning, say, large items soaked in it.

#97705 - 06/17/07 06:22 PM Re: new tinder source, very stable [Re: ironraven]
DougM Offline

I was sure that you did, but it's FAR better to be reminded than to learn the hard way.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 316 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.