Quote:

Let me modify the question a little.

They're boys! They will not carry anything big, bulky or heavy for a day hike. They only have their CamelBak because it has easy to carry water.

The boys have a watch cap, a military style poncho and leather work gloves. So they have something to keep their head warm and a wind and rain layer. I am wondering what I could have them carry in their pack that would help keep them warm if they have to spend the night. They all have a medium size CamelBak backpack so it can't be too bulky. They are 15, 12 and 12 years old.
Thanks!

My most used piece of hiking, camping, (and casual use), clothing over the last 5 years has been a thin Marmot Reactor fleece pullover (100 weight). It also comes in a full zip version. I love the Marmot design for a few tried and true reasons. The thickness is just right (not too hot or bulky), the raised collar really does help with heat retention, and its very lightweight and durable. Here's a link showing the pullover and full zip.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/search2.asp?SearchResults.SearchHandle=A%3dMens+Fleece+Jackets+Clothing%7eB%3dMens+Fleece+Jackets+Clothing%7eD%3d9%7eE%3d1%5e1%5e2%5enum_Sort1%7eK%3d4%7eL%3d1%7eM%3d5%7e&SearchResults.SortAscending=True&SearchResults.SortBy=num_Sort1&Answer=934&s_id=0