Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#97252 - 06/12/07 12:59 PM Re: More fun with bears [Re: nouseforaname]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Looks to be true. Here is the original source.

I wonder what this idiot thinks will happen when "his" bears encounter other humans? Once the bears lose their fear of people it will only be a matter of time until somebody--either bear or human--dies. Usually it's the bear. Who knows how many "problem" bears he has created over the years that had to be shot in other locations?

I hate to say it, but in the long run it might be better for everybody if this dope gets mauled.

#97283 - 06/12/07 05:18 PM Re: More fun with bears [Re: NightHiker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, all he's done is create an unnecessary hazard for others and issued a death sentence to the bears.

Dogs make better pets, and are already domesticated. Why in this day and age do people feel we need to domestic more wild animals? Most species are far better off without our help anyways.

Obviously the moron is only thinking about himself.

#97299 - 06/12/07 08:11 PM Re: More fun with bears [Re: NightHiker]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
We have black bears here in the Sacramento mountains, but they're rarely seen, of course.

About 15 years ago, while living in the little town of Pecos, Texas, a black bear sauntered into the edge of town from the Davis Mountains. Some people saw it, called the City's animal control department, and then a small crowd scared the thing up a telephone pole. There it was, clinging to a transformer can, all the way up at the top.

Now, you might think the best thing to do would be to ask everyone to leave and back way away so the animal would come down. Then you could dart it and haul it back closer to whence it came. Nahhh. That's no good.

These folks decided they needed to dart the bear right where it was. I guess the foresight stopped at..."well, the bear will go to sleep". Just a little more thought was needed.

The bear scampered higher when shot. After a bit, it began to lose it's grip on the pole. It decided to start down but the medication was already taking its toll. The bear slid, then tumbled, from the bottom of the transformer can to the ground, landing on its shoulders and neck. This bear died either later that day or the next.

I wasn;t there to witness this "humane rescue", but one of the police officers was a good buddy and hunting companion of mine. All I'd heard was that a bear had come into the edge of town and animal control had to dart it. That evening he told me the rest of the story.

These well-intended townfolk were the same ones who, during one of the harshest winters in years, January 1997, forgot to lock the giraffes (2 of them) in their extra-tall little barn at the zoo. Two frozen-to-death African animals resulted. But, sorry, that's not a bear story.

#97310 - 06/12/07 10:28 PM Re: More fun with bears [Re: Stretch]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

for photos, go here:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearfarm.asp

and i didn't see the electric fence the main article referred to.

bsmith

#97345 - 06/13/07 08:00 AM Re: More fun with bears [Re: benjammin]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: benjammin
It seems to me, for continuity's sake, that they were eating the last of the bear meat when the coats were apparently done. That could indicate that considerable time had gone by (that would be a lotta bear to eat).

I've heard somewhere that you can conserve meat for a relative long time as long as you scrape off a good layer of rotting flesh and the nest of happy squirming maggots sick

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 284 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
05/26/24 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.