Quote:

What are the average taxes paid in Scotland and the UK? What are the maximums and minimums? I'm asking here because I don;t know.... but I want to.

Hi Stretch,

The UK tax system is quite a complicated thing to behold frown , but here is an example for income tax,

Basic rate of taxation assuming $1.95 to the ?1.00

Income Tax Brackets and rates.

$10,774 ? $14,733 - 10%
$14,734 ? $75,123 - 22%
$75,124 ? no upper limit ? 40%

Of course more income at the 40% rate you have the more likely you would employ tax avoidance schemes.
(although generally if it is getting above $100,000,000 you can generally decide to pay the Inland Revenue what you think is a fair sum i.e. 5-10% or nothing at all.)

To these nominal rates there is also something called National Insurance Contributions NICs, which are theoretically collected to pay for the NHS and state pension provision. This is far to complicated to describe here but typically the average earner will have around an additional 9-11% of NICs, though it is capped at around the upper limit of $75,124

National Minium Wage = ?5.35 per hour = $10.4

There are of course lots of hidden taxes on fuel, private pension provision and Value Added Tax (VAT at 17.5% on goods and services excluding items such as clothes, food and books etc) i.e. mostly on what people decide to spend their money on.

Typically around 40 - 42 percent of GDP is government spending. i.e. collected taxation.

Edited by bentirran (06/11/07 11:08 PM)