This is something to consider when numbers get thrown around. I don;t deny them, I just get suspicious.

Ever heard the claim that 1 in 5 American children are "starving"? I forget the Organization which makes the claim during an advertisement, but it's popular and widespread on AM radio. Several of a series of most asked questions on questionnaires doled out to students ranging from 6 to 12 is: Did you eat breakfast this morning? Do you - a) regularly eat breakfast, b) sometimes eat breakfast, c) never eat breakfast. How many times a week would you say you eat breakfast? a) 7 b) 5 c) 3 d) less than 3, etc etc etc.

Kids are notorious for not eating breakfast (and other meals). This of course falls back on the parents but it doesn;t change the fact. Now, a kid who didn;t eat breakfast this morning might be considered by one person to be "hungry", by another to be "starving". Either way, for the benefit of our cause, let's just call 'em starving. We need a government-funded free breakfast program anyway becasue our free lunch and free dinner programs are incomplete without it. In high school, we might consider throwing in the free tattoo removal program to make the free babysitting program (for young mothers [kids] 13 and over, of course) a complete series.

Another thing to consider concerning the estimated 1/6 of Americans without health insurance: let's not forget why some of these estimates are made.... for the purpose of advocating the socialization of medicine. Some are in favor of that, some are not. But wherever our loyalties lie, nobody really wants statistical data that's intentionally tilted to one side or the other....well, I don;t anyway, and I trust most others wouldn;t. The problem is, without funding (maybe I could get a government-funded PAC grant) a study of our own, we're left with what's reported to us. Note I said "reported to us" as opposed to saying "what's *available to be* reported to us". Now, it's not that we rely solely on picture-show media, the fact is, there are studies that will never be printed in ANY publication. Why not? Let's all guess.... because one is as good as another.

I think there needs to be health care, food, cars, babysitters, computers and internet, microwaves, free tattoos and removals, higher-education, Nike-brand tennis shoes, beer, medicines, and top-rated surgeons standing by for all. My concern is the source of the funding and the method of payment.

Now, if we say that if the Government doesn;t pay for it the money won;t come... that's analogous to saying that since America is one of the richest nations on our earth, we're depriving riches from other less-fortunate nations. As if there's only so much money and, since we have say 75% of it, the rest of the world can only get 25%. Now, that's not right is it? We forget that as our taxes go up our philanthropic donations go down; as Government steps in private sector often steps out.

What are the average taxes paid in Scotland and the UK? What are the maximums and minimums? I'm asking here because I don;t know.... but I want to.

Edited by Stretch (06/11/07 09:49 PM)