The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97189 - 06/11/07 05:38 PM Handheld Police Scanner
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Does anyone have thoughts on a good but NOT expensive hand held police scanner? Around $100 would be good! This would be used to listen to police, fire and ambulance traffic to get a sense of what is going on during a local emergency. I have a small multi-band radio but it is a pain to dial in the correct frequency and there are several frequencies used in my local area.

Thanks!

#97194 - 06/11/07 06:48 PM Re: Handheld Police Scanner [Re: Craig_phx]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I don't have any tips as far as brands go, but make sure which ever one you get will also recieve weather stations. In some states it's illegal to have a radio that only scans police and fire freq's.

#97196 - 06/11/07 06:53 PM Re: Handheld Police Scanner [Re: raydarkhorse]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Also note a lot of places have gone to digital trunking systems. Scanners that do digital trunking are not cheap, but in these places analog scanners are going to be less effective.

-john

#97197 - 06/11/07 07:03 PM Re: Handheld Police Scanner [Re: Craig_phx]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
Look at RadioShack's PRO-528.

Radioshack Scanners

It is made by Uniden (as most scanners are) and does a good job, even better if you buy a better than stock antenna. I got mine during one of their sales for just a shade over $100. It has 1000 programable channels, does weather band and reads trunking channels as well.

You can buy an adapter and program with a couple different software packages, or just go with the stuff that Radioshack will download for you when you buy it, which should be pretty good for your local area. Has settings for use with rechargable batteries.

A very good value for the money.

Greg

#97206 - 06/11/07 07:41 PM Re: Handheld Police Scanner [Re: Craig_phx]
HerbG Offline

I live near one of the Army's chemical weapons disposal sites, and the federal EMA replaced ALL local law enforcement and emergency response agency radio systems with a central trunked and encrypted system. No scanner will receive and decrypt those signals. It is important to find out what kind of system your local agencies operate and if a scanner is going to be able to receive their transmissions.

Oh yes, and thanks to all you good taxpayers for helping pay for this $30-million federal boondoggle radio system.

#97207 - 06/11/07 07:45 PM Re: Handheld Police Scanner [Re: HerbG]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Oh, if you only knew the extent of it.

#97214 - 06/11/07 09:37 PM Re: Handheld Police Scanner [Re: Craig_phx]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Currently radio shack has scanners in the $79 range on closeout.

Bear in mind that these are Analog systems, and they only offer minimal "Trunk Tracking" and no digital capabilities at all.

Check www.radioreference.com for information about the systems used in your area. If you are on a "Conventional" system or even a "Trunked" system, these "Trunk Trackers" from Radioshack will do fine. If you're on a system such as a "Motorola Astro" you will be out of luck, as the cheapest digital scanners made are $500 or so.

#97230 - 06/12/07 12:35 AM Re: Handheld Police Scanner [Re: MartinFocazio]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
You can find the frequencies for your local area on the Radio Reference database:
http://www.radioreference.com

Use of the database is free and the information is generally updated frequently.

Use this to decide if you need a fancy digital scanner or whether a less expensive analog-only model will do the job.

Here in Colorado, the State and many of the cities and counties have gone to the trunked digital system so that pretty much dictates an expensive scanner. Depends on what you want to listen to whether there is a problem or not.

There is also a thing called "rebanding" going on where many existing systems are being changed in their frequencies. In many cases these new frequencies can't be recieved by current model scanners. (700 Mhz area) Colorado is in transition.

#97241 - 06/12/07 04:46 AM Re: Handheld Police Scanner [Re: Greg_Sackett]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"... Radioshack will download for you when you buy it..."

They do that? Boy did we get screwed when we got mine (actually, Santa brought it, but you know what I mean)...

#97262 - 06/12/07 03:20 PM Re: Handheld Police Scanner [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Just a friendly word of advice, if at all possible do not buy an analog scanner. Unless you only want to listen to a few known frequencies get a digital one with auto scanning function. It's the only way to explore lots of bandwidth efficiently. Manually tuning an analog scanner is just too slow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 561 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.