Originally Posted By: Craig_phx
Now that it is June and nice and hot here in Phoenix I thought it was time to think about when it is cold. Actually it still gets cold at night, in northern Arizona. My boys are going to Boy Scout Summer Camp, up north.

What do you folks that live in the cold recommend to carry in your day-pack to keep warm? A wool stocking cap is a given.

If you only carry one other item to stay warm what would it be? It seem that a long john undershirt might be good. Maybe a wool vest or hooded sweater.

Thanks!

Let me modify the question a little.

They're boys! They will not carry anything big, bulky or heavy for a day hike. They only have their CamelBak because it has easy to carry water.

The boys have a watch cap, a military style poncho and leather work gloves. So they have something to keep their head warm and a wind and rain layer. I am wondering what I could have them carry in their pack that would help keep them warm if they have to spend the night. They all have a medium size CamelBak backpack so it can't be too bulky. They are 15, 12 and 12 years old.

Thanks!