The $millions and $billions spent have gone into someone's pocket and he thanks us. A small percentage of that $$ actually paid off, but considering that we are all going to die anyway, I'd just as soon die on my terms.

As for cancer research being a business, check out this letter to the Commissioner of Patent and Trademarks from the Nat'l Breast Cancer Coalition. All that research isn't being conducted for the betterment of all mankind, it's for the betterment of the bottom line. To make that big money you need to patent something and in this case it's small pieces of DNA. Some of those big research dollars have gone toward laying claim to the DNA that makes us tick. As another example from the USPTO files, Piper Rudnick LLP seems to be in this for the big bucks. Yeah, I'm cynical.

While I firmly believe the health care workers (doctors and nurses) are doing all they can to help cancer patients, they are only the tip of the industry iceberg. The rest of the industry is in this for the money. Cancer will never be "cured". That would be the end of the industry. $.02

I eat well, exercise regularly, don't smoke and drink very little alcohol. If I come down with a form of cancer, it just may be the cause of my eventual death. But I won't be dying in a hospital bed. A good canine friend of mine died last year. Walked down to the river and died on the path coming home. If only I can be so fortunate.