Yes the P2D CE will have much longer run times. A typical CR123 has a capacity of about 1200 mAhrs and a nominal voltage of 3V. A AAA sized 10440 will have a capacity of about 300mAhrs to 500mAhrs at 3.7V. Therefore the run times would be (1200x3)/(300x3.7) = 3.24 times less. The P2D CE in turbo mode runs at 135 lumens for 1 hrs. I would therefore expect the Fenix LOD CE with a AAA 10440 cell to last about 1/3 of an hour or about 20 mins.

The LED in the LOD CE is identical to the P2D CE both being Cree 7090 XR-E LEDs. Therefore the LED in the LOD CE is easily capable of out putting 120 Lumen. The driver circuit (pulse width modulated) may be different but I suspect that Fenix would have used the same driver MOSFET as the others in the CREE series to keep costs down. I wouldn't use the LOD CE with the 10440 continuously as the smaller LOD CE would have a greater problems caused the heat generated by the LED. The Fenix store website states an input voltage of 0.8V~3.3V although the thread on
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-149453.html
indicates that it can be used OK. In operation I would turn the power down if the little LOD CE gets too warm.

A note of caution though, the 10440 cell is unprotected and care has to be taken when charging and discharging the cell. Short circuiting the cell would also have a fire hazard. (or depending on your viewpoint another survival means of starting a fire)

Oh the P2D CE is a superb flashlight also and I would consider it to be much more flexible in use than the LOD CE for general use. It can give nearly 32hrs use at a similar light level as the Photon X-light and nearly an Hours use at 135 lumen (greater output than the Surefire M600A Tactical light). Its just too large for my PSK.

Tyrell to Roy

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy.

Edited by bentirran (06/07/07 07:44 PM)