Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9667 - 09/30/02 12:26 PM Garbage Bags vs.
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Has anyone ever done an analysis of the effectiveness of the aluminized polyethylene emergency blankets known commonly as "Space Bags" or "Space Blanklets" versus a thick-mil garbage bag for survival use? Certainly the advantage of the garbage bags are that they are cheaper, more readily obtainable, and thus more easily replaced. I usually carry both and would like to drop one.<br>

#9668 - 09/30/02 12:38 PM Re: Garbage Bags vs.
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Well it will all depends on your intended use for the item. As a water storage etc garbage bags will be better but as an emergency sleeping bag/shelter I would rather have a space blanket around me. I find space bag to be used for one purpouse only and that is shelter. I will still carry both because of durability issue. Space bag is not rip proof enough to substitute a real garbage bag. I can take a black garbage bag and use it to make a poncho, bed liner, water heater, emergency sled or temp roof. It would be a waste of money to do the same with a space bag. Yet using a space bag for keeping you warm after plunge in the river is no match for a garbage bag.

#9669 - 09/30/02 01:01 PM Re: Garbage Bags vs.
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Good points. Thanks.

#9670 - 09/30/02 04:37 PM Please do NOT...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please do not assume that garbage bags are safe for water, beverages or food. Most sources agree that the plastic that they are made from contains pesticides to keep insects from burrowing their way in (or out), and that food stored in garbage bags has caused sickness in those eating it. <br><br>I cannot say from my own empirical knowledge that this is the truth, but I've heard it often enough, from enough varied sources, that I would be very hesitant to use them this way. Apparently there is a reason that people storing food never use them, even though they're very cheap and very available.<br>

#9671 - 09/30/02 06:00 PM Re: Please do NOT...
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Why would you spray contactor garbage bag with pestocide? Don't you think there would have to be a certain kind of warning for that? Lets say you throw your trash out that waits to be picked up and your dog comes by and licks the bag? Or your kid finds them and plays with them? Or you use a bag to line a bottom of your car for wood transportation? They have warnings on everythign to protect themselves from liability and they wouldn't have it on the product that contain pestocides? People don't use them frequently becasue theyare big. How you are going to store your food in a 40 gallon bag? Yet I see people using them a lot of time as back pack liners.<br><br>I'm not saying the pestocide bags don't exist but that's not what you get in the store over the counter.

#9672 - 09/30/02 07:06 PM Re: Please do NOT...
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I just looked at my current supply of trash bags, Kirkland brand from Costco. There is a warning on the box stating "CAUTION..."Not recommended for food storage." No explanation as to why, my guess is just because they are reportedly made from recycled products. I do know that there is "food grade" plastic and the other stuff... <br><br>I suspect that you could use one for short term food/water storage in an emergency, but only in a real emergency, and only for real short term...

#9673 - 09/30/02 07:07 PM Re: Garbage Bags vs.
Anonymous
Unregistered

For everyday carry in a smaller kit, I carry both a large HD trash and leaf bag and a space blanket or emergency sleeping bag, depending on the kit I have with me. I fold the trashbag around the emergency blanket/bag and rubber band them so they form a very compact shelter pack. But then, it regularly approaches or dips below freezing at night during winter and even mild nights are generally in the low 40s so I feel both are necessary. If my conditions didn't warrant both, I'd drop the garbage bag and keep the space blanket which is a more versatile piece of equipment in my opinion. For my BOB, I'm looking into getting military issue poncho w/liner.

#9674 - 09/30/02 09:26 PM Re: Please do NOT...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have no interest in arguing this; if you search the web you'll find enough discussions on the point without adding one more. I felt obligated to say something, if I didn't use enough qualifiers and weasel-wording to satisfy you I apologize... but my conscience is clear; now that you've been informed that there's room for doubt, please feel free to use them any way you care to. I wouldn't think of interfering with your informed choice.<br>

#9675 - 09/30/02 09:57 PM Re: Please do NOT...
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Just a convenient location to drop a note OT; not really a reply to P_L's accurate post:<br><br>There are pesticides in many trashbags - typically the "consumer" ones used to line household trash cans and the curbside ones. I do not believe that the large "contractor" types have any pesticide. However... IIRC, there may be some amount of lead in pigmented bags not intended for food use, especially if point of origin is Asia. If there is a great deal of doubt or concern, get mylarŪ bags (polyester film) - a bit more expensive, but much tougher and not nearly as flammable. They are available in about any size, clear, opaque, metalized, etc. and specifically are food grade. As an example, a 36" x 52" 4.5 mil (very thick) polyester film bag is a standard size and costs about 6-7USD per bag in small quantities (less than 10).<br><br>MylarŪ bags are a bit less bulky (it takes a thinnner film to give equal or better strength) and lighter than conventional "trash bags" and handle temperature extremes better as well - food for thought. "Emergency space blankets" are metalized mylarŪ...<br><br>Just my 2 cents worth... HTH<br><br>Tom

#9676 - 09/30/02 10:31 PM Re: Garbage Bags vs.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also think that a garbage bag is better because if you get a clear one you can also use it to put around a tree branch to obtain condensation from the leaves. The trash bags I like also because they make a great substitute for condoms. a little big though.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.