Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#96574 - 06/04/07 08:29 PM Prepared for Pandemic Flu?
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
The radio stations on our area (Midwest) are running PSAs about the probability that a strain of pandemic flu will hit this country in the foreseeable future. The PSAs point out that people should have a 2-week supply of food and water on hand since quarantines are likely. Thus they are assuming that utilities will be affected by personnel losses. Not mentioned overtly but strongly implied is the distinct possibility of no utility services due to personnel being sick or quarantined or worse, no deliveries of fuel to gas stations, no deliveries of food to grocery stores, etc. My assumption would be that safety forces would be similarly affected and overwhelmed.

It's definitely a "hunker down" situation. It would be against the law to try to bug out of a quarantine area, and how do you outrun a virus, anyway?

What are your thoughts about minimum/optimum equipment, supplies and associated techniques to survive this predicted scenario?

#96591 - 06/04/07 11:05 PM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: Frank2135]
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

id be very interested to hear some more thoughts on this. especially considering the TB scare just encountered.

#96602 - 06/05/07 12:43 AM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: Frank2135]
MOAlan Offline
Stranger

Loc: central Missouri
I think this is one of the main reasons for being prepared. Almost all other events will allow you to BugOut. Having a BOB is nice to have, but having a minimum of two weeks supplies at home is more important in most situations.

Minimum preps-
1)70 gallons of water on hand per person.
2)2 weeks worth of canned foods.
3)enough fuel to cook that food.
4)battery powered radio with large supply of batteries.
5)some way to be entertained to keep from go stir crazy.

Maximum preps-
1)generator with stabilized fuel for a month.
2)food and water for at least one month.
3)Large supply of books for reading(might as well learn something)
4)way of filtering all the air in the house.

This is just a short list of what you need. Detailed lists can go on for pages and is only limited by your budget.

#96605 - 06/05/07 12:55 AM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: MOAlan]
Shamus62 Offline
stranger

Just curious MOAlan,..why 70 gallons per person? I thought 1-2 gallons per person per day was the norm,...i.e 14 to 28 gallons for a two week supply. Otherwise, good advice,...I need more books :-)

#96608 - 06/05/07 01:11 AM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: Shamus62]
MOAlan Offline
Stranger

Loc: central Missouri
Shamus62,

One to two gallons a week is what the government tells you is required. Doug Ritter on the otherhand tells us that 5 gallons a day is what we will truely need between drinking, food prep and sanitation.

#96609 - 06/05/07 01:18 AM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: Frank2135]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Frank2135,

I think those PSAs suggesting 2 weeks supply of food and water should be revised. The UK National Health Service (NHS) ran a study on this scenario. From their results the timescales should be nearer 2-3 months self quarantine, with the high probability of a second round of infection within 6 months again lasting 2-3 months. A quarter of the population was projected to become infected with the pandemic flu.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/924/0040586.pdf

#96612 - 06/05/07 01:38 AM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: Frank2135]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Not a bad suggestion, I think for a lot of people a week is more likely to be stocked if just for psychological reasons.

I'm much more concerned about those PSAs. Who's paying for them, and can you give us the exact wording? Because honestly, while an influenza pandemic is a concern, and a real one, it's also a low probability concern. I'm wondering if you've got someone whos got an agenda here.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#96618 - 06/05/07 02:13 AM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: MOAlan]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Don't forget to stock up on sauerkraut, hmm, yummy!

#96658 - 06/05/07 02:00 PM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: ironraven]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
A number of organizations are mentioned, and it sticks in my mind that its a "message from the Ad Council". I'll try to catch it in the morning in the next few days, and make a few notes.

The message is fairly long, talking about the difference between seasonal flu and pandemic flu. It stresses that quarantines may occur, and that there may be "some disruption of services" as a result. It recommends preparedness in the form of having a two week supply of food and water on hand, medications stocked up, etc. That's about it.

My primary concern, living where I do, is that if an outbreak occurred during winter months and there were a disruption in delivery of heating oil, natural gas and/or electricity, it would be extremely serious. We're well stocked with food and water for the family memebrs that would gather here to wait out the quarantine. That's less of a problem for me than heat when the temperature hovers around zero for days at a time. I have an oil-fired boiler system, so if the tank is full (note to self: keep tank topped up) and I can get power to the circulating pump and ignition system, we'll be OK. I'm working out now what sort of generating equipment I will need to accomplish that.

Cooking is also an issue. Hot beverages are awfully comforting in cold weather, and cold food gets tiresome after a while. I'm looking at an alcohol stove. The efficiency is lower than propane, but I have concerns about long term storage of propane. Nothing like picking up a tank and realizing only then that's it's empty to ruin your day.

#96659 - 06/05/07 02:39 PM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: Frank2135]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
It recommends preparedness in the form of having a two week supply of food and water on hand, medications stocked up, etc. That's about it.

While this may seem inadequate to us, I'm guessing that the general public really has to start somewhere. If the government could actually persuade everybody to set aside a dedicated two-week-per-person supply of food, water, and medications, just think what a huge step forward it would be. When you factor in the rather large amount of foodstuffs many people already have hiding in their pantrys and fridges, then two weeks doesn't seem like too bad a beginning. But water always seems to be the weak link. I'm afraid you are just not going to get most people to store 70 gallons of water per person around the ol' 2 bedroom apartment. You'll be lucky to get them to store 1 gallon per day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:54 PM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.