Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#96696 - 06/06/07 01:32 AM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: Frank2135]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
OK, I was just having this image of some church or something buying air time and preaching the end of the world or something. Not as worried- it sounds like maybe Ohio has a real Civil Defense program. smile

As for the alcohol stove, they work great. Above 40 degrees. I'm not a fan of them indoors period, even on something like a screened in porch, simply becuase the flame is so pale you might not see it if you have leak or spill that has ignited until it's ignited something else.

And a closed propane tank will be tight unless it's so rusted it's rotted through. Just watch the dial.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#96701 - 06/06/07 03:30 AM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: Frank2135]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Just asking out of curiosity: at near-zero temps, how long does a full tank of heating oil last you? I'm on the west coast, and heating with oil is uncommon here.

One thing to keep in mind, if your heating facilities can do it, might be to restrict heat to just one or two rooms in an emergency. Move the beds so everyone is in the same room, etc.

Last winter, a couple invited 42 stranded people into their 1200 sqft home. I venture to guess that they had more of a cooling problem than a heating problem, due to body heat.

It certainly would be nice to have some kind of warning for this scenario, but I doubt that it will happen.

Sue with wood heat

#96740 - 06/06/07 02:47 PM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: Susan]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
It's a 400-gallon tank, so in a typical winter here it will last about 80 days (the below-zero weather is usually broken by "warm" spells where it's only in the mid-twenties). We also use the boiler for heating our domestic hot water, and in a survival scenario I would probably turn off the valve to the hot water tank heating coils, which could extend the heating time significantly. The system has zones, so we can close off the upstairs heat, for example, and heat a smaller area longer. As I said, none of it works without electricity, so I will need a generator to get power to the circulating pump. The amount of fuel I have for the generator and its efficiency will be the big limiting factor. After the genny gives out, we huddle around the old fireplace (note to self: cut and split more wood).

Back to the PSAs: the World Health Organization is sponsoring them, with the assistance/approval of CDC. I should've just asked my wife, who is the health and safety coordinator for our local school district. The public schools have been advised to develop pandemic flu emergency plans, and she knew all about the PSAs. She also told me some "experts" say to expect the flu to come in waves, and that quarantines of affected areas, while intermittent, may total 6 weeks or more. Gory detail: the WHO and CDC suggest that school buildings may be adaptable as temporary morgues.

She was also told that in the 1918 Spanish Influenza epidemic, it was the young healthy people, by and large, who died. The elderly did not, because (they theorize) the latter were less likely to get out and about and be exposed.

Sorry about the length of this post. I sincerely hope the "experts" are wrong about all this, but when it gets cloudy you can either hope it doesn't rain or get an umbrella. I opt for the umbrella.

Edited by Frank2135 (06/06/07 02:49 PM)
Edit Reason: silly typo

#96741 - 06/06/07 02:53 PM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, 42 people at 300-400 btu/hr per person would be @ 15,000 btu/hr. In a 1,200 sq ft home, I would be inclined to agree that heating the home was not an issue. Keeping it nice smelling might be a concern.

#96748 - 06/06/07 03:15 PM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: Frank2135]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I have a 275 gallon tank and in my 75 year old ~1200 sqft poorly insulated house we can go through that much in a month (ouch!) in the depths of winter.

The boiler has a coil in it for domestic hot water ("tankless"). Hot water consumes negligable fuel - we run all summer with hardly any change in the fuel level.

The water will thermosiphon through the radiators quite well when you manually open the check valve, so I'm thinking about investing in a small inverter, some deep cycle batteries and a trickle charger as a backup power supply for the burner.

On the other hand, a completely indepentant backup heating system like a wood stove would be better...

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#96804 - 06/07/07 02:25 AM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: Frank2135]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
A WHO/CDC project... I'll bounce it to my medical intell person, she's probably got the transcript in her files. If she doesn't, she'll want it. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#96826 - 06/07/07 01:42 PM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: ironraven]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
I listened to the PSA again today, and it also mentioned this web site for more information:

http://www.pandemicflu.gov

I've only looked at it briefly.

#96844 - 06/07/07 03:42 PM Re: Prepared for Pandemic Flu? [Re: Frank2135]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
It's strange... sort of full circle that I saw this message. It was the frequent pushing of the coming bird flu epidemic that drove me to start preparing my family and eventually find this site. After seeing this I realize that I still have things to do. The paranoid in me is saying this is thinly disguised fear mongering in key political states. But the survivalist in me says "good" if for no other reason than maybe it will get more people thinking and more importantly doing something to prepare.

For me water supply is really a big deal. I do have quite a bit in storage, but don't have a ton of room. The water barrel solution seems ideal for a hunker down, and I would use that before any portable water. I have got certainly less than 70gal in storage if you dismiss the water heater (50gal). I don't have a ton of basement storage, so I'm curious what everyone does for mobility and tips for tight storage places. Any recommendations for specific stoves and supplies (links please!), especially ones which are portable or could be converted for camping/bugging out would be helpful. I hate cold beans. smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:54 PM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.