Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#96515 - 06/04/07 01:51 PM Re: Brandy in a flask. [Re: LED]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Brandy, whiskey, tequila, whatever floats your boat, at the end of a grueling day, sometimes it is awfully darned nice to just sit and watch the flames dancing while sipping some remedy. I'm not talking about getting plowed, but just a little something to take the edge off would be nice. I know that when we are skinning logs or hunting elk, when the axes and the chainsaws and the guns are put up for the day and the campfire is making some good btus and whatever chow has been eaten, then a good belt or two of remedy sure and maybe a cigar or a hand rolled cigaretter or a pipe bowl of mellow burley sure does wonders for the soul. You gotta think in the spirit of the old cowpoke or mountain man and how hard life was day to day and each day ended up about like you might find yourself in a survival situation anyways. A little hooch and a little smoke might be the only treat you get. I mean anything that might help take your mind off your troubles a little without serious impairment could be worth packing around. Tobacco and booze were such staples for a long time for folks who didn't have much more with them than what they could pack on a horse or less. Grandad was no alchoholic, but he would take a snort most nights before turning in, just because that was what he always did. I never saw him take more than a shot in any one evening, so I reckon it was more out of habit than of need. He'd sit and roll a few cigarettes for the next morning while smoking one and sipping his drink. That seems reasonable to me.

#96556 - 06/04/07 06:43 PM Re: Brandy in a flask. [Re: NightHiker]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
NightHiker, thinking about your post and remembering all the historical accounts I've read of people over the centuries mixing wine, etc., with water to make it safe to drink, I wondered if that, too, might not excuse...I mean, justify...bringing a couple of ounces of the good stuff along. I think we could consider it a backup water purification system.

My vote, by the way, would be for Jameson's in the flask.

#96566 - 06/04/07 07:41 PM Re: Brandy in a flask. [Re: ]
KarenRei Offline

Food-grade ethanol, I hope...

#96717 - 06/06/07 05:45 AM Re: Brandy in a flask. [Re: ]
DLR Offline

Loc: Phoeniz, AZ
Ya'll have a great idea. Sounds like something I should do.

However, I do have a concern. In a lot of States, there is an "open bottle" law. In other words, you cannot have an open bottle of alcohol of any sort (beer, wine, spirits) in a vehicle, or, even worse, in public. A flask of any sort would qualify as an "open container", even if it was still filled to the top.

Any thoughts on this?

DLR

P.S.-Benjammin, I like your style. That's the way I roll too.

Edited by DLR (06/06/07 05:47 AM)

#96732 - 06/06/07 02:00 PM Re: Brandy in a flask. [Re: DLR]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My guess would be that it would depend on where that "open container" is located. If it is buried at the bottom of your pack, or in your box of gear in the trunk, who is going to know. If, on the other hand, you are driving down the street with it between your legs, and you get stopped, sign here, press hard, there are four copies...

#96735 - 06/06/07 02:28 PM Re: Brandy in a flask. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, you could put an aluminum foil cap over the mouth of the flask and dip the capped end of the flask in wax to seal it. The cop would have a tough time of it saying it was an open container then.

#96768 - 06/06/07 05:01 PM Re: Brandy in a flask. [Re: benjammin]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
To my understanding open containers are legal if they are not easily accessible. For example in the trunk, or a locking container like a console or glove box.

#96797 - 06/07/07 01:38 AM Re: Brandy in a flask. [Re: Rio]
Grits Offline
Master Burger Flipper

Loc: Western North Carolina
A story told by my father who served in the navy on a tin can.

Not all mouth wash is mouth wash on a ship. To get booze onto the ship some guys would empty out mouthwash bottles and refil with clear spirits and then add green food coloring. Brush your teeth before turning in and down a shot of "mouth wash" and your set for the night.

#96817 - 06/07/07 04:58 AM Re: Brandy in a flask. [Re: LED]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: LED
Depending on the situation, a fine bottle of scotch (Oban comes to mind) can be worth its weight in gold. Of course its not essential for survival but if things got really rough, at the end of a long day, a glass of the good stuff would sure hit the spot. And don't forget, booze can sometimes make friends faster than words. It could easily get you valuable information, goods, transportation, who knows?

+1 to that. Oban or (even better) Macallan. When it's that smooth, no need to add water. The angels can keep their share.

P.S. Great topic, digimark. Sometimes a wee dram helps people relax, get some perspective, roll with the punches. All very important in difficult circumstances.

#97212 - 06/11/07 09:06 PM Re: Brandy in a flask. [Re: digimark]
bat69 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fl, USA
I for one would never discount the valueable psychological affect a bit of grog can offer in a tight spot.

I can tell you that from my own experiences outdoors, a sip or two from a flask at the end of a long day slogging along a trail warms the very soul, and can make dark places a bit merrier for all.

But, as far as it being a multi tasker, I'm not sure.. Granted, any high proof 80+ liquid cold be used in a pinch to clean a wound, or knife etc. But drinking everclear, or pure grain alcohol just isn't too appealing to me. I'm a bourbon man myself..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 342 Guests and 84 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.