Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#96307 - 06/01/07 12:55 PM Re: Scrounging fuel [Re: OldBaldGuy]
hillbilly Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast Arkansas (Central Ar...
Waste moonshine in a vehicle? Are you nuts??? grin grin

I didn't say that you couldn't drink it or use it in your alcohol stove. Why do you think I go by "hillbilly"? Actually, my principal here in Arkansas asked me about 2 months ago if we could develop a curriculum/project for the area to make ethanol as an alternative to regular crop products. When I told her that I could build a still to teach the kids how to make ethanol she dropped the idea quickly. However, I am going to experiment with crop residue this fall with the biology teacher to determine if you can get any usable product from wheat or rice straw. It should take more to make alcohol than say corn or grains but it might work.

#96309 - 06/01/07 01:15 PM Re: Scrounging fuel [Re: hillbilly]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Be sure to let us know how much "kick" it has... grin grin grin

#96328 - 06/01/07 02:24 PM Re: Scrounging fuel [Re: Blast]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Good topic Blast, kmat and Wildman 800. Lots of good advice from a lot of posters.

One question. Let's say the power is out and you find access to fuel in an underground tank. Is there a simple way to get the fuel out. What should I keep on hand to accomplish this.

One more thought (and maybe this should be a separate thread), what can we do to reduce the need for fuel in a SHTF scenario?

#96329 - 06/01/07 02:29 PM Re: Scrounging fuel [Re: DesertFox]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: DesertFox

One question. Let's say the power is out and you find access to fuel in an underground tank. Is there a simple way to get the fuel out. What should I keep on hand to accomplish this.

I was wondering this too. Anyone know of a good manually powered siphon pump system?

#96335 - 06/01/07 03:00 PM Re: Scrounging fuel: reducing fuel needs [Re: DesertFox]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
what can we do to reduce the need for fuel in a SHTF scenario?

1. Bicycles along with bicycle trailers
2. Build homes that have natural cooling abilities (I've been looking at house designs from tropical areas and the 1800 for ideas there)
3. Store food that don't require refridge/freezers.
4. Cook in solar ovens (cheap stryofoam cooler and a sheet of plexiglass works amazingly well here in Texas).
5. Root cellars
6. Water cisterns to collect rain off roofs rather than hualing water from nearby lakes/rivers/pools.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#96356 - 06/01/07 05:24 PM Re: Scrounging fuel [Re: DesertFox]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Most electric gas and diesel pumps (at stations) have a hand pump handle hiding behind the lower cover plates. Take the cover off, pull out the handle and connect it to the pump, turn away and load the gas into a vehicle or containers.

#96389 - 06/02/07 02:13 AM Re: Scrounging fuel [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...Take the cover off..."

Keep in mind that those covers are locked on, so you are gonna have to break something to get inside...

#96390 - 06/02/07 02:18 AM Re: Scrounging fuel [Re: gatormba]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...good manually powered siphon pump system..."

There are a bunch available. Black and Decker makes (or at least used to) a thing called a Jackrabbit Pump, a hand powered (crank) pump that works very well. There are also those that are powered by an electric (think battery) drill, mucho faster than hand pumping. But again, remember that the hatch to the fuel tank is going to be locked, so you have to start breaking stuff...

#96478 - 06/03/07 05:54 PM Re: Scrounging fuel [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you know of people who have what you may need, having some really viable trade goods could be a good idea.

For instance, remember back to Katrina when that outfit (the name is long gone) in NOLA was online and giving blow-by-blow accounts of what was going on? They had a diesel generator, fuel, food, water, etc. But they underestimated the toilet facilities, and apparently all the toilets in the area were backing up due to the high water.

I'll bet those guys would have traded some diesel fuel (at least in the beginning or near the end, when they got more) for a stack of 5-gallon plastic buckets, a load of sawdust and a cheap ($10) clip-on toilet seat.

Sometimes, when there's trouble, people need simple things that they just overlooked, like having no matches in the house during a snowstorm. Or apple pies. Or chocolate chip cookies.

Sue

#96493 - 06/03/07 10:55 PM Re: Scrounging fuel [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

As my wife, the former law enforcement dispatcher, used to say, at any "disaster," be it a monster multi-vehicle accident, train wreck, earthquake, bridge collapse, whatever, the first two things that need to be dispatched (after law enforcement/fire/ambulance) is tow trucks (you can move a lot of anything with tow trucks), and porta potties...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 394 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:54 PM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.