Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9574 - 09/28/02 10:05 PM mini light for psk
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm looking for a tiny flashlight to put inside my cigarette pack sized psk/first aid kit. Opinions on the best one?

#9575 - 09/28/02 10:11 PM Re: mini light for psk
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Photon 2

#9576 - 09/28/02 11:54 PM Re: mini light for psk
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's a review that was done on this site.<br><br>http://www.equipped.org/led_lights.htm<br><br>

#9577 - 09/30/02 10:16 AM Re: mini light for psk
Milestand Offline

I agree with Chris on the Photon 2. I have carried mine on my keychain in my pocket for over 2 years - it is reliable and seemingly indestructible. I use it regularily and I am still on the original battery! <br><br>I chose the green for it's 200 hour battery life - mine came with the large single cell - the greens are now sold with the 2 smaller cells making it much brighter but cutting the battery life to under 20 hours. However, you can still retrofit the green with the single larger battery to get the 200 hours.<br><br>I don't have a Photon 3, but people I know who do have one, say the increased complexity has sullied the perfection of the Photon 2's design - especially concerning are accidental turn-ons that sap battery life.<br><br>The Photon 2 is one of my all time favourite tools - highly recommended!

#9578 - 09/30/02 01:30 PM Re: mini light for psk
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
ARC AAA- waterproof, batteries easy to obtain and easy to replace, bright and long battery life. Pete<br><br>http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/<br><br>Great prices and service at this site:<br>http://www1.ecxmall.com/stores/texastacticalsupply/Search.bok?category=Led+Lights<br>

#9579 - 09/30/02 04:01 PM Re: mini light for psk
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm about to purchace a photon 2 (at last!), but I have also been looking at the 0-4 mini task light. the waterproof spec seems nice but.... it's not as slike looking as the photon 2. <br>does water damage the photon? would I have to be worried about geting it wet? <br>of couse I don't go jumping into the water with my clothes on very often. but it would be pain if the light failed after a light dunking. <br>has any one here got an 0-4 mini task light? if so please tell me what you think of it<br>cheers<br>-james

#9580 - 09/30/02 06:27 PM Re: mini light for psk
Milestand Offline

I have never had any problems after accidental immersions of my Photon 2, though I have usually unscrewed it and dried it out before too long. On the photonlight.com website's message forum, Brian Avery has described a way to properly waterproof them and I have quoted him below (though, I haven't gotten around to doing it to mine yet).<br><br><br><br>--- Quote from Brian Avery of photonlight.com forum:<br><br>: what kind of store sells silicon dielectric <br>: grease so i can waterproof my p3? <br><br>I got some good stuff at a local diving supply store. It even came in a small <br>key-chain sized tin (very appropriate, I thought). <br><br>You can probably also find something in the plumbing section of your local <br>hardware store. <br><br>Just look for 100% pure silicone grease. <br><br>-Bryan<br><br>: What exactly do you apply it to on the photon <br>: light, and how do you apply it? I'm just not <br>: familiar with this material or how it's <br>: used. <br><br>Basically, you want to fill the inside of the light with the grease. Cover the batteries completely and around the edges where the battery cover closes. If you want to go all the way, you can even lift up the circuit board a bit and get some of the grease in under the button, but this might be overkill. If you get too much in there, you might have a little trouble with the switches. With mine, the on/off switch was not working reliably and it would turn itself off and reset itself as soon as I let go of the rear button. After working the button for a minute or two the grease got worked around enough inside the case that it was not getting in the way and the light worked fine after that. <br><br>Right now, the light has been sitting in a jar of water for about a month, but I think it is still water-tight. <br><br>-Bryan <br><br>

#9581 - 09/30/02 08:38 PM Re: mini light for psk
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree that the Photon is the way to go. I have had a P2 for a couple of years and recently bought a P3 even though there were some quality control problems with P3s for a while. <br><br>It seems the problems are mostly ironed out now and my P3 works perfectly and is a terrific light. If you are considering the Photon, don't rule out the P3. It is water resiatant, easy to turn on and off, and has some neat "modes," some of which are very useful. For instance, the medium and low modes really extend battery life and are less disruptive to night vision. The flashing modes could be good as a distress signal or hazard light. It is possible to accidentally turn one on, but I haven't had any problem with that and it doesn't seem like there is any problem with the design that would make that too likely (unless you are really rough with it, such as putting it on a huge nest of keys and throwing the keys around a lot). I highly recommend the P3.<br><br>By the way, a P2 can survive a dunking in water, but you should open it up and dry it out afterward. The silicone grease trick mentioned in this thread is intended for the P3 to enhance it's water resistance. I don't think it would work well on the P2 since the case is open. <br><br>These are definitely not the most powerful lights you can get, but they are the tiniest and have a completely useful level of light output (assuming you are not trying to illuminate anything further than about 20 feet). They are perfect for a small PSK or for everyday carry in a pocket.

#9582 - 09/30/02 10:38 PM Re: mini light for psk
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think a good choice thats different from others would be the AAA flshlite by maglight. Its indestructabile but you pay for it in weight. There nice though and Mine has lasted a couple years. plus there is an extra bulb in the handel. and when you are in a crunch for a fire starter just break the glass bulb leaving the fillament in tack. Then turn it on and light a small pile of steel wool kept in your kit.<br><br>ballonman

#9583 - 10/01/02 06:41 AM Re: mini light for psk
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
I would avoid the Maglite Solitare. It is dim and runtime is a bit iffy. A much better light (already mentioned here) is the Arc AAA light:<br><br>http://www.brightguy.com/detail.tpl?cart=10334628042680&sku=ARC3AW<br><br>Review:<br>http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/arclight.htm<br><br>The Arc AAA is about the same size as the Maglite Solitare, also uses a single AAA battery, but is waterproof, more rugged and uses a bright white LED. Puts out similar light to the Photon II.<br><br>While a bit bigger, the Infinity Ultra would be a nice choice, especially if you load it with a lithium battery (in addition to giving you a 10 year shelf life, the lithium battery reduces weight quite a bit). <br><br>The Ultra takes a single AA battery, is very rugged, waterproof and also puts out similar light to the Photon II. The upside of this light is that it has a very long runtime (~25hrs):<br><br>http://www.brightguy.com/detail.tpl?cart=10334628042680&sku=CMGULTWB<br><br>Review:<br>http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/infultra.htm<br><br>While the Photon II is light, bright and has a good shelf life, the inability to handle water seems a drawback. Battery changes are a bit problematic as well. One thought might be to lightly vacumm pack the light and then you would have a waterproof version of the Photon II - just use it through the shrinkwrap! Another issue might be accidental activiation.<br><br>The Photon III has been reported to have some reliability problems but it does deal with water and battery changes better.<br><br>Also, check out the flashlight discussion forums at:<br>www.candlepowerforums.com<br><br>-john

Edited by JohnN (10/01/02 06:44 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 351 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.