Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#95366 - 05/23/07 02:17 PM Flying with a PSP
garrett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: North Carolina
I have run about five searches using different terms to answer this questions, but I may be a little mentally challenged on how to conduct the right search.

Has anyone flown with a PSP lately? I am going to give it a try this weekend. I am going to pull out the scalpel obviously, but I was concerned about the sparker.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks,

Garrett

#95379 - 05/23/07 07:35 PM Re: Flying with a PSP [Re: garrett]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
My wife and I are flying this weekend too but I've decided I'm not going to chance anything this weekend because 1) I don't want to give away/leave behind any of my gear and 2) the airports are going to be so packed with holiday travelers I want to keep any and all possible issues to a minimum. Therefore I'm only carrying on with me items I know will make it through security and I am packing the others in my suitcase that will be checked baggage.

Edited by gatormba (05/23/07 07:36 PM)

#95381 - 05/23/07 07:45 PM Re: Flying with a PSP [Re: gatormba]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

Just a word of caution, Make a list of all the Items in your kit, Then place a tag on the outside of your bag " ALL ITEMS INVENTORYED " maybe then it will be there when yu get to the other end. You would not be the first to have kit items missing.

#95427 - 05/24/07 01:28 AM Re: Flying with a PSP [Re: big_al]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Originally Posted By: big_al
You would not be the first to have kit items missing.

As much as I hate to admit buying stolen property, I recently purchased a lot of NTSA confiscated Swiss Army Knives off Ebay. lol, at first I thought the post was asking about the sony hand held video game smile

#95434 - 05/24/07 02:28 AM Re: Flying with a PSP [Re: garrett]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I would say strip it down. No scalpel, no sparklight, no fishing components, no needle.

Heck, I'd probably just carry a small light and the whistle on my keys, and stick the lens and duct tape in the wallet. If something goes wrong on a plane, you'll have everyone and their uncle sniffing over it withing 30 minutes of it hitting the earth.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#95555 - 05/25/07 03:54 AM Re: Flying with a PSP [Re: garrett]
asfried1 Offline

All of the above are some of the many (many) reasons I fly general aviation. Between what I carry on my person, in my flight gear, in the cockpit and in the baggage compartment, I have easily enough gear to turn a survival situation into "an impromptu camping trip". And anywhere this side (the east side) of the Rockies, I get there faster than commercial air.

#95592 - 05/25/07 03:44 PM Re: Flying with a PSP [Re: garrett]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I carry a AMK-ETS PSP everytime I fly (Last week; Oakland to NY, NY to Ft Lauderdale, Ft L to Dulles, Raleigh Duram to Dulles, Dulles to Oakland) No problems with the PSP, my FAK or EMT shears.
I did remove the PSP contents list that lists the scalpel and the scalpel itself.

#95647 - 05/26/07 03:30 AM Re: Flying with a PSP [Re: billym]
kevindick Offline
Stranger

+1 for this suggestion. I too carry a PSP with the scalpel and contents list removed whenever I fly. I remove the fishing kit as well. Never had a problem.

I also carry an AMK Backpacker sewing kit with the seam ripper removed and an AMK Light & Fast Trail FAK. The sewing needles, straight pins, safety pins, and splinter pickers don't seem to set off any alarms.

#95684 - 05/26/07 05:11 PM Re: Flying with a PSP [Re: kevindick]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Never had a problem with pins, sewing needles or fish hooks.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 421 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.