Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9560 - 09/28/02 06:34 PM fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

i'm thinking of putting a fishing kit together and i was hoping for peoples input. i already carry the standard few hooks and a bit of line in my normal kit but i was wanting something a bit more substantial. i want my kit to be suitable for both salt and fresh water. i guess what i really want people to say is 'i've used this, this works' or 'i've tried this, it's crap, avoid it'.<br><br>thanks in advance.<br><br>take it easy.

#9561 - 09/28/02 09:45 PM Re: fishing
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Stu, I will hopefully be on a fishing boat soon to complete a long awaited review of several kits. For PSK units most people overlook a gaff hook.Tthis is merely a large hook secured to a short stick ( a small nail through the eye, a small channel scribed with a knife or awl, some wrapped wire or string and your set). The assembly is to help land fish as they are being retrieved. Your best bet in G.B. is to visit a tackle shop and talk to fishermen. Like any pursuit, you can rapidly get lost in a maze of terminollogy and local use. What a fly fisherman in a scottish stream and a north sea cod fisherman use is decidedly different. A most usefull item ( though often illegal for normal use) is a gill net.

#9562 - 09/28/02 09:50 PM Re: fishing
mick Offline
dedicated member

Loc: England west yorkshire
The gaff is one thing I overlooked when doing my kit.

#9563 - 09/28/02 11:47 PM Re: fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Me too. I still havn't figured out how to put the stick in my altoids kit. :o)

#9564 - 09/29/02 02:25 AM Re: fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

get a telescopic stick

#9565 - 09/29/02 02:47 AM Re: fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL :o)

#9566 - 09/29/02 02:50 AM Re: fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know my fishing experience, my lack of skills, and my need to improvise. <br><br>I carry a full spool of 32 lbs line. That's about 330 yards. This is because I know I will lose some.<br><br>I carry 50 assorted hooks that have all been tied with leaders so I won't have to improvise.<br><br>Finally I have the usual assortment: dried bait, speed-hooks, extra hooks, gill-net, survival manual, flies, spoons, etc.<br><br>That manual from the SAS covers pretty much any scenario.

#9567 - 09/29/02 11:16 AM Re: fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the tip about the gaff hook chris, that'll definately be going in the kit. i agree with you that there's a huge variety of different kinds of kit for different scenarios. the thing that i'm most curious about i guess is wether anyone has used their kits with any success, i've done some fishing with rod and line including quite a lot of fishing for freshwater predatory fish i.e. pike, perch etc. and have lots of success with artificial lures, spinners,plugs, etc. and i notice that most comercial kits include these items, i'm just curious as to how effective they would be when used without a rod and reel. <br>just as matter of interest, has anyone else out there tried spear fishing? fun isn't it?<br><br>take it easy

#9568 - 10/02/02 03:21 AM Re: fishing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think it was about 2-3 weeks ago a discussion took place on this board as to what constitutes a survival situation. The consensus was that the severity of the situation is relative to the amout of preparedness. <br><br>What is considered as a survival fishing kit to one person could be a regular tool for catching food for another person. As an example; During the course of my routine tasks and activities I travel long distances on ATVs, Snowmobiles and in Boats. I always carry a fishing kit suited to the environment that I am travelling in. In spring, summer and fall I carry a telescopic rod that folds down to 12 inches with a medium weight open faced spinning reel with 50 yards of 12 lb test mono line. I carry 3 each of number 2,3&4 hammered brass spoons with an orange stripe, red and white stripe and yellow w/red lines. I also carry 2 number 3 and 2 number 4 Mepps Silver.<br><br>My kit contains 3 number 0/13 hooks which I can use baited for big salt water fish or as gaff hooks for other applications such as gaffing fish in shallow water. A 0/13 hook can be straightened out to make a realy good fish spear. This component has 50 yrds of 40lb test nylon braided camo line included. I also carry a few other fishing sundries.<br><br>I carry this stuff in a water proof(so in will float) Plastic cylinder that measures 14 inches by 4 inches. The entire thing loaded weighs 3 lbs. There is lots of space left in the container for other stuff if I wish to utilize it. In winter I usually get rid on the reel and repack in a 14x2 in tube.<br><br>The point I am trying to make is that to me this is my fishing survival kit. It goes whereever I go when I travel. I don't need a fishing kit if I am not traveling. If there are fish around I will catch them with this kit. So my question to you would be why would you put yourself in a situation whereby you didn't have a pole and reel to use if you are going through the trouble of stocking up on various lures and stuff anyway?<br><br>Mariner

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 765 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.