The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#95213 - 05/21/07 08:27 PM Houston Hurricane Preparedness Week
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Just received, along with PDF's detailing Houston's new evacuation and contraflow plans.
Quote:
Harris County Judge Ed Emmett briefed the media on the County's hurricane preparedness and evacuation plans this morning. Judge Emmett unveiled the new evacuation map and stressed the importance of individual preparedness.

Make a Plan, Get a Kit, Stay Informed. (http://www.ready.gov/america/index.html).

Additionally, President George W. Bush has proclaimed May 20th to 26th as National Hurricane Preparedness Week and Judge Emmett wants the citizens of Harris County to know that Harris County's Office of Emergency Management is ready and prepared for hurricane season 2007.

The Harris County Citizen Corps offers numerous volunteer training opportunities to help you protect yourself, your family, and your property. One opportunity is to complete the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training.

CERT Team Training is being scheduled at the following locations:
City of Pearland CERT Team training (Class 4) will be held at Pearland Fire Station located at 2020 Old Alvin Road, Pearland, Texas 77588. Classes will be held on Thursday evenings from 7:00 - 10:00p.m., beginning August 9th for 10 weeks and the final exercise will be on Saturday, October 13, 2007. All citizens 18 and above are encouraged to attend, please contact Constable Buck Stevens at bstevens@ci.pearland.tx.us <mailto:bstevens@ci.pearland.tx.us> the registration DEADLINE will be July 13, 2007.

City of Pearland CERT Team training (Class 5) will be held at Pearland Fire Station located at 2020 Old Alvin Road, Pearland, Texas 77588. Classes will be held on Saturdays 9:00 - 5:00p.m., beginning September 22 and the final exercise will be on Saturday, October 13, 2007. All citizens 18 and above are encouraged to attend, please contact Constable Buck Stevens at bstevens@ci.pearland.tx.us <mailto:bstevens@ci.pearland.tx.us> the registration DEADLINE will be August 31, 2007.

Spring Branch CERT training will be held at St. Mark Lutheran Church, 1515 Hillendahl, Houston, TX 77055. Classes will be held on Monday evenings from 6:00-9:00 p.m., starting July 2 and ending August 20, 2007. The training is open to the community. To register or for further information please contact Kelly Biar at 713-468-2623 or kbiar@stmarkhouston.org <mailto:kbiar@stmarkhouston.org>.

Katy CERT Team training will be held at Holy Covenant United Methodist Church, Boy Scout Bldg., 22111 Morton Road, Katy, Texas 77493. Classes will be held on Saturday mornings from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM, starting June 2, and ending July 28, 2007. NOTE: There will be no class on Saturday, July 7th; will resume on Saturday, July 14th.) To register, please contact Clifford Cheadle at cliffordcheadle@sbcglobal.net <mailto:cliffordcheadle@sbcglobal.net>.

Tomball CERT Team training will be held at Tomball Fire Department, 1200 Rudel, Tomball, Texas 77375. Classes will be held on Saturday mornings from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM, starting July 7, 2007 and ending August 25, 2007. The training is open to the community. To register contact Lisa Griffin at lgriffiin@ci.tomball.tx.us <mailto:lgriffiin@ci.tomball.tx.us> or 281-351-7101.

Heights CERT Team training will be held at The Vineyard Church of Houston, located at 1035 E. 11th St., Houston, Texas 77009. Classes will be held on Thursday evenings from 6:00 - 9:00 p.m., beginning June 7 and ending August 2, 2007 (no class on July 5). The training is open to the community. To register contact Laura Griffin at 713-962-9075 or berylmarkham2000@yahoo.com <mailto:berylmarkham2000@yahoo.com>.

RSVP CERT Team training will be held at Merfish Center at 9000 S. Rice at the corner of N. Braeswood, Houston, Texas 77096. Classes will be held on Thursday evenings from 6:00 - 9:00 p.m., beginning July 12 and ending August 30, 2007. The training is open to the community ages 18+. To register or for more information, contact Tara Smith at birdita@yahoo.com <mailto:birdita@yahoo.com> or call 713.729.3200, ext. 3287.

G.R.A.C.E. Community Services CERT Team training will be held at 2626 South Loop West, Suite 350 Houston, Texas 77054. Classes will be held on Thursday evenings from 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m., beginning June 14 and ending August 9, 2007 (No class on July 5th). To register contact Justin Williams at jw@gracecommunityservices.org <mailto:jw@gracecommunityservices.org> or 713-839-9300.

Nice to know someone is at least trying to make plans...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#95219 - 05/21/07 10:22 PM Re: Houston Hurricane Preparedness Week [Re: Blast]
MrDrysdale Offline

Loc: League City, Texas
I live in League City south of Houston and was in the Rita evacuation. I was much luckier than most and it only took me and the family 8 hours to get 120 miles from the coastline.

The general concensus is that most people will not leave next time a storm threatens. We may not leave next time!

I joined this forum because of the Rita mess. I am much better prepared than before the storm. We had zero damage and didnt even lose power when neighbors did!

I will be attending a talk tomorrow night about hurricane prepardness by Paul Lewis – National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Should be interesting.

Mike

#95257 - 05/22/07 02:56 PM Re: Houston Hurricane Preparedness Week [Re: MrDrysdale]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The way I see it, you have three choices regarding preparation:

Build a fortress, stock it with enough supplies to last you 6 months.

If you are not financially well enough to do this, then plan to evacuate to a safer location, determining first what the criteria you need to survive will be and where a place is close enough that could meet that criteria. Leave at the first sign of trouble.

or you can do no preparation, then pray to whatever deity you like when the time comes, or rub that lucky rabbit's foot, or spin around on your left heel three times going "Whoop Whoop Whoop" like Curly on the Three Stooges and maybe you will get lucky.

Since I like to take responisbility for myself and don't tend to trust others too much, I opt for the first choice.

#95326 - 05/23/07 02:14 AM Re: Houston Hurricane Preparedness Week [Re: benjammin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Echo that, although I rather like both plans 1 and 2. Somethings, you just want to run away from.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 393 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.