Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9521 - 09/27/02 01:39 PM NC Concealed carry question
red_jeep Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Doug lists a concealed firearm as part of his "urban" survival kit. I understand that this is only used for personal protection as a complete last resort (or for hunting in a wilderness situation, I suppose). I'm really just curious about how other people, particularly in North Carolina deal with the laws surrounding firearms, concealed or otherwise. I'm not interested in a political debate, just the facts. If anyone has experience with CCW laws, particularly in NC, I'd welcome their input.<br><br>In looking over the laws for my state, there is a quite extensive list of places one is not permitted to carry a concealed firearm. I know the laws vary widely from state to state, but in NC, there seems to be little point (to me) in obtaining a permit for, and carrying a concealed weapon. <br><br>Pretty much everywhere I go, firearms, concealed or otherwise, are prohibited. (work, stores, sporting events, etc.) In theory, the only conceivable place I could legally carry a concealed weapon is my home, while driving/walking public streets and, maybe, a firing range (and possibly a few stone-aged businesses that don't have signs posted prohibiting firearms).<br><br>Synopsis of the places prohibiting firearms:<br> - schools, federal, state or local government property.<br> - public events, assemblies or gatherings<br> - places where alcohol is sold an consumed<br> - businesses where a sign is posted prohibiting firearms (pretty much every business around here)<br> - financial institutions<br><br>This is from:<br>http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/guns.htm

#9522 - 09/27/02 02:43 PM Re: NC Concealed carry question
Saunterer Offline

Loc: Kansas City area
Are you a tarheel also? I spent the first 26 years of my life living in NC, but have been away for about 7 years now.<br><br>I was a police officer back from 1989 to 1993 in NC, and the laws then and now may be different. But when I was up to speed on the laws, you can (or could, you may need to check) carry a visible weapon ANYWHERE in public unless it was specifically prohibited. But the only caveat is there is a little know general statute called "Going armed to the terror of the public". So the scenario is, you are enroute to hunting, firing range, whatever and you legally carry your sidearm into the local grocery store to get a snack or whatever, this is perfectly legal. But a little old lady complains that she's uncomfortable that you are armed and complains to the manager or police. You could be charged with "being armed to the terror of the public". Catch-22. <br><br>Now with concealed carry. Back in the days when I was involved with the laws, there was no statute where a citizen could legally carry a concealed weapon. The only exception was for police officers ONLY in their juristiction (but what officer in Benson going to arrest a Raleigh officer for this if they travelling through town?), or if a judge issues you a special permit because you have proven that you HAVE TO carry. <br><br>Like I said, it's been almost 10 years since I've been involved with law enforcement in NC, but this was how it was then. Check in the NC general statutes, around GS14-500 to GS14-504. Think this is where some of the carry laws are located. <br><br>Hope this helps. I'll be in Duplin County next week for 10 days. When I stop by to see some of my old officer buddies, I'll ping them and see what has or has not changed.

#9523 - 09/27/02 04:28 PM Re: NC Concealed carry question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check out www.packing.org for up to date information on Concealed Carry.<br><br>This site will point you in the right direction

#9524 - 09/27/02 08:11 PM Re: NC Concealed carry question
Anonymous
Unregistered

North Carolina is a must issue state. That means that the state must issue a permit to a qualified applicant. I received the first permit issued in my county.<br><br>Generally, you cannot carry a concealed weapon where alcohol is served, banks, county-state-federal property, schools, anywhere it is prohibited by sign, or where an admission is charged.<br><br>In my travels, I cannot think of the last time in the last few years that I have seen a sign banning concealed weapons. There were quite a few signs in the local stores immediately after the law became effective, but one by one they have been removed.<br><br>The website listed in a following post is a good source of information.

#9525 - 10/01/02 04:39 PM Re: NC Concealed carry question
red_jeep Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm really just trying to determine how practical it is to concealed carry for me in NC (within the limitations of the law). <br><br>At this point, I don't have the time or funds to pursue this any further, but I'll tuck these comments away for future use.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 672 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.