Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#95232 - 05/22/07 01:00 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: DLR]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I always carry a spare tire (in case of side wall blow outs) and 2 inner tubes (Continental). I also carry a Topeak Power 16DX tool.

Ortlieb makes a nice waterproof 2.7 litre saddle bag which has a roll closure. Also tape a couple of spare spokes to the underside of the left hand rear wheel stay. Are you using a road or mountain bike? If you are using a mountain bike mostly on roads, get rid of the mountain tires and go for 26 inch road versions instead. If you can fit pannier racks (Ortlieb panniers would be my first choice) this would be far more comfortable than carrying any backpack, especially in the desert heat. Water bottles on the bike would be preferable unless riding in heavy traffic. Good cycle sunglasses such as Bolle are essential. Clipless pedals and shoes are also essential for 20 mile round trips also.

Edited by bentirran (05/22/07 01:04 AM)

#95240 - 05/22/07 02:17 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: DLR]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
When I used to ride my bike a lot I had more than one dog try to eat my foot (or other valuable body parts), so I put an aluminum baseball bat across my handlebars with sticky back velcro. Kinda like polo, I rolled more than one yapping critter on my rides...

#95342 - 05/23/07 05:08 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: DLR]
KevinB Offline
Journeyman

I used to ride to work every day. I'd suggest not wearing a pack. It's hot and it throws your balance off. Get a rack and a rack bag and/or paniers.

I strongly second the suggestion of carrying a spare tube rolled up in a baggie with talcum powder. It saves a ton of time. The talcum powder makes it tremendously easier to get the tire back on. A good frame pump is a must. And a patch kit, for when you get your second flat.

Also carry any screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. that your bike needs. I never carried a multitool. They were heavier than the individual tools. You'll definitely need composite tire irons (the metal ones suck). I found 2 to be enough.

I carried a mini FAK with some bandaids, Neosporine and a bandana. Cuts and scrapes will be common. Carry some quarters, a spare $20, a credit card, and ID.

Someone mentioned lights. I found those flashing LED tail lights to be the bomb. They help drivers see you, which is safety rule #1. I never did find a really good headlight. Hopefully technology has improved.

I also did the deal where I brought in a week's worth of clothes and kept them in my filing cabinet. It was really nice when my wife worked at the same company. She could carry the heavy stuff in the car.

Kevin B.

Edited by KevinB (05/23/07 05:13 AM)

#95347 - 05/23/07 05:54 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: KevinB]
DLR Offline

Loc: Phoeniz, AZ
Wow, thanks for the info folks!

I haven't thought a bunch about all of this yet so thanks for the ideas. I'm doing daily 20-45 minute rides in different conditions right now. It's just now starting to really heat up here in PHX so I'm trying to acclimate myself to the environment and the bike. I'm not sure how my body will respond to it just yet, so I'm taking it slow. Also tuning up the bike when I can. I'm going to have to use a pack, for now anyway. I like the drive at the begining of the week/end of the week idea. There is a shower (And swimming pool!) at work so showering/cooling off isn't an issue.

Thanks again all!

DLR

BTW, I ALWAYS wear eye protection when on the bike, but thanks for the reminder.

#95428 - 05/24/07 01:40 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: ironraven]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I have a question about glasses. If the lenses are polycarbonate, is it sufficient or should it really be ANSI specced? I've acquired the Flexor goggles from Guard-Dog they were cheaper then the Wiley-X SG-1 and I like the folding feature. Are they good, they are supposed to be tested at 100mph impact.

#95429 - 05/24/07 01:45 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: DLR]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Nice thread. It comes just in time with our transit system strike in Montréal (from the maintenance workers) and there's a controversy about it right now. Anyway it kind of revived the idea of getting equipped for bike commuting. I'm new to it. But here is a site with good tips about a FAK aimed at mountain bikers.

Frankie

#95432 - 05/24/07 02:21 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: Frankie]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
They need to be ANSI Z78 spec at a minimum, IMO. They list a 100mph impact for that particular item- that's great, what was the projectile? Was it a pea, or pea stone?

I just looked up the standard:

Requirement: Spectacles shall be capable of resisting impact from a 6.35 mm (1/4 in) diameter steel ball traveling at a velocity of 45.7 mps (150 fps). For sample size of 20, no failure may occur.

That is a piece of gravel being tossed by a car at non-highway speeds. Or a slingshot's ball.

I would say that if they don't have the ANSI spec on them, and it should be marked on the goggles themself, it doesn't meet the requirement or the manufacturer hasn't bothered to get it certified. The cost of getting the product tested is small compared to the number of customers who will look at it, not see the ANSI spec and pass on it, that I can't imagine NOT getting the testing done.

Polycarbonate means any thickness. An inch of polycarb is able to stop a decent rifle round, but it is chemically identical to my Nalgene bottles which won't stop a bullet, and to my glasses, which are ANSIed. It's like saying steel- 4 inches of steel stop a LOT more than say, .4 inches. And it isn't a linear relationship.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#95484 - 05/24/07 04:09 PM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: ironraven]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Thanks IronRaven. I will be looking for the ANSI spec when I go shopping for sunglasses. I don't know if 40 bucks sunglasses have the ANSI spec though and I have a real hard time finding well fitting ones which have the correct curve. And having to spend a hundred bucks on each and every items that I need such as a Tilley hat and Bollé or Oakley glasses kind of ends up as being rather expensive. But it may be actually economical in the long run since it will last longer.

Frankie

#95516 - 05/24/07 09:50 PM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: Frankie]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

BTW I just bought a $27 wrap-around type of sporty sunglasses from MEC and wore it for a while on the sidewalk. But the image was slightly distorted especially when I looked down at the sidewalk and after a while I felt slightly dizzy. I think I'm going to get a refund and invest in high quality sunglasses, unless the curve of the model is not that accentuated.

I've heard the justification for high prices from companies such as Oakley is that they use a completely different method, that they mold the lens instead of bending it, or something like that.

#95530 - 05/25/07 01:13 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: Frankie]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If you are paying a hundred bucks for a Tilley you are getting screwed. Bought one for my wife, in high priced California, a month or so ago, about $70 including tax. But no matter what you pay, the lifetime guarantee makes a Tilley a great bargan...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 417 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.