Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#95123 - 05/20/07 10:48 PM Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas?
DLR Offline

Loc: Phoeniz, AZ
Hi all,

I'm probably going to start biking to work in the next week. I need some ideas for what to throw in my pack. I usually carry plenty of items in for driving to work but now my mission, and job, has changed. The environment here in Phoenix is, as you can guess, hot. So I need to keep that in consideration. Weight is also a problem. I'm going probably 10 miles, each way. I'll need to have a change of clothing for work also, so space is limited also.

Ideas? Anyone doing this already? Hints?

Thanks,

DLR

#95124 - 05/20/07 10:54 PM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: DLR]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Make sure you have spare inner tubes and basic bike tools. I sucks to break down and have to carry or push a lame bike.

#95132 - 05/21/07 12:56 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: billym]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Don't carry spare inner tubes, just a patch kit. You can pick up a few bike-specific multi-tools at a shop (usually hex wrenches, or regular wrenches of various sizes). You can either carry a pump or a CO2 cartridge-type pump (uses the same CO2 as a BB gun). It DOES suck to push a lame bike.

Good bike lock (duh). Bike gloves: the handles will be HOT, and it helps decrease vibration (and hand numbness after a while). Water (probably a camel back) since it'll be HOT. Make sure you've got good reflectors, or better yet, lights. I've almost gotten killed more times than I want to admit. A good bike helmet.

If possible, why not just take some clothes to the worksite at the beginning of the week, and just pick up them up on the weekend? Saves you carrying clothes.

Personally, I'd drop anything EDC that isn't used at least once weekly. For me, that means I wouldn't carry a multitool, PSK, FAK, or the like. Wallet, cellphone, spare cash. Maybe a flashlight, if you ride home after dark.

#95141 - 05/21/07 02:11 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: MDinana]
Henry_Porter Offline

I recommend carrying spare inner tubes. Fold one on itself, wrap it with a rubber band and put it in a ziplock bag with a little talcum powder. It's much quicker to put in a new tube than to search for, find and patch a hole on the roadside, especially if it's raining, getting dark or you're short on time. The "weight penalty" is small. I carry two tubes, but then I cover some glass-strewn roads in my city. I carry an old Tyvek envelope strips to use as a tire boot.

I agree about lights to see the road and also to make you more easily seen. If you have a white handlebar- or helmet-mounted light (or even a Photon light), you'll appreciate it when you have to make low-light, roadside repairs.

Plenty of good bicycle commuting sites online. See Paul Dorn's, e.g., at http://www.runmuki.com/commute/

I like MDinana's suggestion to take spare set of clothes/shoes to leave at work if possible.

Personally, I carry water and bags on the bicycle rather than on my back (gets too hot), but some prefer backpacks and Camelbaks. I use an old Carradice saddlebag to carry a few tools/tubes, rain jacket, lock, Clif bar. Oh, and my bike has fenders.

#95142 - 05/21/07 02:30 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: Henry_Porter]
ChadHahn Offline
Stranger

In Tucson you have to have lights so make sure your bike has those.

I agree with bringing clothes at the beginning of the week and bringing them home on Friday.

I fill my tubes with Slime. It really helps when running over thorns or any of the countless other things that give you a leak. It won't help for blow outs but most of the time it is just what you need.

Chad

#95145 - 05/21/07 03:52 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: DLR]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
What are you using for a pack?

I haven't seen anyone mention these, but saddlebags or those wire things that go on the back like a saddlebag, and a FAK that is at least set up for abrasions and small cuts, and has a good pair of tweezers.

Also, a pair of ANSI speced glasses. It only takes one golden stone to make you DLR-the-One-Eyed, and a lot of Rx and polarized lenses still aren't up to it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#95148 - 05/21/07 06:02 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: ironraven]
gallihand Offline
Stranger

Loc: Northern NJ
Don't know how well it would work in Phoenix and it depends on the bike but if the seat has rails to adjust the distance from the handlebars a spare innertube can be nicely ziptied up there with little concern of it falling off. But I would definately second the spare tube, besides it can always be filled with water as a canteen as long as you don't Slime the thing. (not sure if they use anything inside or not so I don't know if its safe, just saw it on survirorman)

And I definately second the lights (flashing red on back if possible) and a helmet.

#95149 - 05/21/07 06:15 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: ChadHahn]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Yeah, I forgot about Slime. Good stuff. I think some stores also sell plastic-type inserts that go between the tire and the inner tube. They help with preventing punctures as well.

#95172 - 05/21/07 03:06 PM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: MDinana]
jimtanker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fort Bragg, NC
Good man DLR.

I started riding my bike to work (10 miles one way) last year. I drive in on Monday and home on Friday. Other than that its the bike. Part of my drive is through some deep woods so I have all of the above mentioned stuff plus my basic survival kit in the Camelbak that I carry.

I dont carry a tube or patch kit. I just use the tubes that have the sealant in them. Might start carrying a tube though.

#95217 - 05/21/07 10:18 PM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: MDinana]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I have had days where I got more than one leak in my tire at once(construction site on my commute) after getting multiple holes I decided to carry an extra tube; it weighs nothing compared to carrying your bike.
Sometimes the hole in your tire is not alone; it is easier to change the tube get home and patch the other tube while drinking beer instead of patching it on the side of the road.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 412 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.