Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#95540 - 05/25/07 01:54 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: Frankie]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Frankie, they're just carpentry and shooting glasses. smile If you don't need prescription, you can get good for $30US, tinted or not. And not just brown tint- amber, vermillion, green, find something you like and get an untinted pair to.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#95551 - 05/25/07 02:50 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: ironraven]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I may go with a pair of good old cool looking Wayfarer, how about that?

#95553 - 05/25/07 03:41 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: Frankie]
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
I used to ride every day for school in LA. Definitely second the panniers and rack, you can do errands and grocery shopping with them. I like handlebar mirrors, less fiddly and geeky than helmet mirrors.
ALso second the flashing LED lights, red for the rear, white for the front. I like the cateye ones that form a beam, aim them for car driver height, they're to let them see you, not for you to see the ground. For that, a car foglight hooked to a sealed lead acid battery works well. Anything less doesn't throw a beam far enough for you to be able to avoid stuff in the road.
Also reflectorize the bike and your helmet, I hate the fluorescent yellow stickers at the bike store so i used white scotchlite from the autoparts store. It blends with the silver on the bike and helmet.
For repairs, a multitool, spare tube, patch kit and small pump, used a lot. Carried a spare brake cable, but never used. Bungie cords and 550 cord for tying stuff to the rack. ALso carried bandaids, 4x4 gauze, disinfectant and tape, these were used. Also wear gloves, the one time i didn't i spilled and messed up my palm pretty good.
If it's possible that you'll be out in the rain or before or after rain, fenders and a set of lightweight rain pants and jacket. You really need fenders otherwise the crap on the road will paint a stripe on you front and back.

Edited by aardvark (05/25/07 03:44 AM)

#95608 - 05/25/07 06:06 PM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: DLR]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Helmet, sunscreen, water.

#95666 - 05/26/07 06:59 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: DLR]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I bike to work every day and I have been doing it for the past 10 years.
So from experience:
Spare inner tubes. You wanna try to find a puncture in the dark, by the light of a torch, in the rain? Be my guest....
Patch kit. Fix the punctured tube at work/home.
Brake cable.
Spare links for the chain. If the chain breaks, your in D.S.
Small adjustable wrench.
Bike Multitool.
Head torch.
Pump. Get a decent quality one.
Wear a reflective vest. If you have a bag, make sure it's a nice bright colour. Cammo is a no-no. Put a reflective band around it. You cannot be too conspicuous.
There are tyres on the market that are puncture proof. I use the "Armadillo" brand. High density rubber with a Kevlar inlay. They guarantee no punctures for one year. My experience seems to bear that out.

When you set out in the morning, take your time. Give yourself time to warm up. Use your gears. Look around. Be aware. Assume that every other D.H. ON THE ROAD'S MISSION IN LIFE IS TO TURN YOU INTO A ROAD KILL! Everyone else on the road has a safety cage wrapped round them. You don't. Any hint of trouble, get your ass up onto the sidewalk.
Other than that, enjoy yourself. I do.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (05/26/07 07:08 AM)

#95690 - 05/26/07 05:34 PM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Leigh has good advice...

#95864 - 05/28/07 09:07 PM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: DLR]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Aside from spare tube, tools, water, etc... my MAIN concern as an occasional bike rider, is be to BE SEEN.
As Leigh said, if you don't want to be just another squashed hedgehog, use everything you can to BE SEEN :
- reflective tape on satchels, on bike, on pack, on helmet,
- reflective vest (mine is an old vest, used by airport staff),
- lights : flashing red LED on bike's rear, + another LED flasher (Photon III, Pelican mini-flasher, etc..) attached by a safety pin on your back ; white LED flasher on the front of the bike, headlamp on your helmet... + Inova T2, just in case + spare batteries.

As a car driver, I have seen (at the very last moment ...!!) too many cyclists whitout any light, riding in the dark.. That's just suicidal... mad

If you are run over, despite all this signalling, then your widow will be able to sue, not for accident, but for deliberate murder !! grin grin

#95896 - 05/29/07 04:53 AM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: frenchy]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

How about these ?

http://www.airfreetires.com/

No flat tires means no delay, no sweat, no spares, no worry.

Anyone tried them ?

#104574 - 09/04/07 03:53 PM Re: Biking to work, EDC/PSK ideas? [Re: Chisel]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

You could try Slime brand leak stopper or a 'puncture-proof' inner tube liner.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 412 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.