Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#94610 - 05/14/07 02:23 PM Who EDC's a Camera?
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I noniced a camera listed in a couple peoples EDC list when I searched. I'm interested in knowing if you EDC a camera and if so what model.
My wife EDC's our Nikon CoolPix 5600 but its only 18 months old and the battery door ir cracked and its all scratched and worn so it hasn't held up very well. Then it takes videos in quicktime format and I tried to download and install the quicktime player at my parents house only to be forced to install itunes and so much other crap that I gave up after the 12th reboot. Its also slow, the flash can take 10 seconds to re-charge which seems to be a common complaint among the <$200 P&S cameras.
So I bought her a nice high end camera, but qiality comes at a price and the price is size, she can't edc it in her purse any more. We have a pair of camera phones and the pictures are OK but low resolution, thek kind of look like the pictures you get from a Sony camera so they are not working real well as a supplement to the big camera.
So I'm going back to thinking about small pocketable cameras, maybe like the Canon digial Elpf series but all those use a propritary Lithium Ion battery so you have the up front cost of a spare battery and then have the ongoing cost of replacement batteries in a couple years. Maybe a better camera phone, are there any, most I see are VGA resolution.
So wat does everyone else use?

#94615 - 05/14/07 02:36 PM Re: Who EDC's a Camera? [Re: Eugene]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Actually, in a manner of speaking, I do EDC a camera. I have a blackbery pearl cell phone, and it has a camera function built into it. It isn't the greatest; the resolution is pretty good, but the flash is rather weak, and night shots can get pretty grainy.

I use it quite a bit, since it is always with me, and it interfaces with my laptop via a USB plug in. I can also use it to email or MMS the pics I take to other people thanks to having enterprise access to my business email service.

Ain't the 21st century grand?

#94619 - 05/14/07 03:38 PM Re: Who EDC's a Camera? [Re: benjammin]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It is 640x480 like most camera phones? Thats the resolution I'm at now so I'm looking for something whose resolution looks like its from this century smile
I'm finiding this Samsung A990 which has a 3.2MP camera but reiews say it lacks in useability and I had a samsung phone whose hinge broke and aparently it was a known issue with a lot of Samsung models at the time yet they refused to do anything about it.

#94620 - 05/14/07 03:39 PM Re: Who EDC's a Camera? [Re: NightHiker]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This will be for every day use and not a use once and throw away. Though I have heard of people opening those disposables and soldering on a USB port so they could pull the pictures off themselves at home and turning it into a re-useable camera.

#94621 - 05/14/07 04:12 PM Re: Who EDC's a Camera? [Re: Eugene]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
As a die-hard Nikon fan, I never thought I'd say this, but I EDC a Cannon Power Shot SD400 digital Elph and it takes great pictures. It is small enough to put in my pocket and comes with a nice leather case. I've been carrying it for over a year without a problem.

It does use proprietary batteries. I bought two third-party "Power 2000" batteries for about the same price as one Cannon battery. So far they are working great. I get just as many shots as with the Cannon battery.

#94623 - 05/14/07 04:19 PM Re: Who EDC's a Camera? [Re: DesertFox]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We became a little dispointed with Nikon after this 5600. The pictures are not really any better than our old 2MP HP and its not holding up very well.
I had always stayed away from propritary betteries but am finding that the smallest cameras are too small for AA's. I don't know why they can't make them run from AAA's the mAh of those super expensive Lithium Ion's isn't any better than the 850mAh or so of an AAA. Thats why I'm wondering about the phone/camera combo, if there are any decent camera phones since phones all have the propritary battery anyway.
Then canon annoyingly uses a different prioritary battery for their camcorders which we have. Even though the specs are the same (V and mAh) its physically shaped differently so those won't interchange.

#94627 - 05/14/07 05:32 PM Re: Who EDC's a Camera? [Re: NightHiker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I keep an el cheapo disposable camera (with flash) in both mine & my DW's vehicles for documentation purposes in case of an accident.

Just make sure you change them every so often. I did that, and eventually grabbed it and took some shots. They were terrible: poor resolution, grainy, muddled. I'm guessing the heat doesn't do the film any good.

I replaced it with my previous digital camera (it's not great, but oh well).Some fresh batteries are in the glove box with it.

#94629 - 05/14/07 06:07 PM Re: Who EDC's a Camera? [Re: MDinana]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
I don't know that I would call it EDC, but I often carry a Pentax optio A10. I've had it for about a year, and so far I've been pretty happy with it. It is very small and takes good pictures, however, it sometimes had problems in low light situations. My cell phone also has a camera on it, but at only 640x480 res, it is barely worth having, but could do in a pinch.

#94631 - 05/14/07 06:16 PM Re: Who EDC's a Camera? [Re: Rio]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I carry an Olympus D425 in my Jumbo. It's not very large and it takes decent pictures. It uses 2 AA batteries, which I like.

Bona Na Croin

#94636 - 05/14/07 06:56 PM Re: Who EDC's a Camera? [Re: NightHiker]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What's film?
wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:54 PM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.