Many thanks to the info by [bold]Roarmeister [/bold]. I would be concerned that siren use would take a lot of power away from the radio function. I might be more inclined to use a whistle or light. I still think the band selector knob on all models is ridiculously huge and not as reliable as an ordinary slide-type button. It should be noted that their website no longer even lists the FR200, so folks may want to look for closeout deals. It seems to have been replaced by the 250. It doesn't look like there is a great difference other than adding a siren and going from 1 to 2 LEDs. IMHO, theuy would havebeen better served by going with a single more efficient LED than just adding an additional poorly performing LED. After all, an emergency radio shouldbe all about energy efficiency...especially when adding additional energy-using functions. I do think the supplimental jacks for better external antennae is a GREAT option on the FR350 though.

Like [bold]harrkev [/bold] I also feel that while the weather band is useful, shortwave would be of more use to me. I'd like to see a radio that has all of it, but in a pinch, I'll use my scanner for the weather bands (police as well).

The light function I originally thought was useful but now I'm not so sure. From all reports, it drains power far too quickly and it is very weak. I think keeping a photon freedom handy would be the better option. Better light, longer power, and more modes.

I do appreciate everyone's feedback on the crank. It would seem to hold up for some time and work almost as promised. That said, I just can't shake the manufacturer's feeling that it should only be used in emergencies. Since they're the folks attending to warranty issues, something tells me they see a good number of crank issues. Still, the radio functions seem to be quite good on a set of batteries. So, I've left the chargeable batteries unplugged so it will be available if needed. I'll continue to use batteries for now. My next purchase will probably be the AC/DC, and a solar kit. That would cover enough redundant power options that I should be fine...and may be able to suppliment cell phone power options as well.

[bold]comlpro [/bold], where did you get the orvacs adapter?

So, all-in-all, I paid around $26 (including postage) for my FR200 on sale (http://tinyurl.com/ywxdgu). There may be some sellers/supporters in the form who also have this radio.

The MSRP of the various models is/or was:

FR200 - $40.00USD
FR250 - $50.00USD (same for Red Cross version)
FR300 - $50.00USD (same for Red Cross version)
FR350 - $60.00USD (same for Red Cross version)
FR400 - $60.00USD (same for Red Cross version)

So, in answer to that thought/question posed by [bold]Roarmeister, [/bold] would I trade up? I still think the FR200 is, and will be, the better deal given the functionality and possibility of closeout pricing (if it's not too late). And the Red Cross versions are ok, but I'll certainly have better visability with my yellow-orange one and for you folks who like camo...they have that option at least in the 250s and up (can't remember on the FR200s). But if they add the external antennae jacks and weather to the FR250s features, I may have to re-evaluate.

Anyone done any mods to these?...even small add-ons (bolting something on, better earphones, portable external antenna options, attaching a photon, etc)???