Quote:
local, state or government agency has done any sort of inquiry of the people who evacuated to find out what went wrong

Actually, yes they have at least here in Texas. The governor, a bunch of mayors of affected towns, emergency rescue workers, police, and logistics experts sat down in town meetings and listened to people's experiences. From that they set in place several plans such as:
1. A formal plan to make I-45 and several other roads contraflow (you can drive north in the south-bound lanes).
2. Arranged to make sure more gasoline was available.
3. Pre-positioning supplies at several major relief centers (risky proposition, people will complain about the money spent if the supplies aren't used crazy).
4.Set up a network of traffic control police throughout the state to direct traffic. Small town cops worked 20-hour shifts directing traffic outside of Houston. Next time they'll have help.
5. Set up a program to teach people when to evacuate and when to stay. (Next time it'll be a lot harder to convince people to leave!).

They set up more than just this, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.