Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#94062 - 05/08/07 07:35 PM Gear for Disneyworld Trip
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
Ok either I can't get the search function to work properly or else I imagined a thread on this topic before.

Anyway the wife and I are taking the twins back to Disneyworld this summer. Last year she wore a small backpack purse with our FAK, PSK, etc but she hurt her neck and shoulders so it's up to me this year. I would like to avoid a backpack and I don't like fanny packs. I have been looking online at a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack but from online it's hard to tell how large it is and how much it will hold, etc. I have never actually seen one in person.

What would you all recommend for a pack for a Disneyworld type trip where I would be getting on and off rides, may get wet, and need to hold essential supplies?

#94071 - 05/08/07 08:35 PM Re: Gear for Disneyworld Trip [Re: gatormba]
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
http://www.countycomm.com/BAILOUTBAGGEN5.htm

http://www.countycomm.com/minebag.htm

I've used both. As long as the load isn't too heavy, they'll work. Bag anything that can not get wet.

M

#94073 - 05/08/07 09:09 PM Re: Gear for Disneyworld Trip [Re: gatormba]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Congrats on the Disney Vacation. My wife and I (and her friends from school) spent 6 nights last June and had the time of our lives. Here are my suggestions on gear to bring. Not all of it needs to be carried every day:

1) small flashlight (like a photon II) - we were surprised at how dark the parks get after the sun sets, particularly in the back half of the magic kingdom. I had the one that has the flashing strobe. At night I could hold it up and the group could find me easily.
2) sunscreen (probably an obvious item)
3) I carried my Leatherman Squirt in my pocket and it was never checked. The scissors were useful.
4) In the summer I would carry the $.99 disposable ponchos (have a few extras in the suitcase in the room). If it gets lost, its no big deal. We left ours in the room when we checked out in case the staff wanted them. Buying a Mickey Poncho in the park will probably be over $6.00 each.
5) Moleskin - somebody in the group always wears shoes that cause blisters.
6) Packets of Crystal Light/Propel that are used with .5 liter bottles. It seemed more refreshing than just water.
7) If you plan on washing clothes during your visit, bring the sample size detergent boxes (wal-mart sells them cheap. Disney charges three times as much in the laundramat.)
8) Several rolls of quarters (left in suitcases). It's sometimes hard to find change nearby.
9) Bottle of purell - who knows what your hands have touched? Purell and a napkin can clean up up if you can't find a restroom.
10) Bandanna - I would wet mine and wear it around the neck to cool off. At night I would wet it and put it in the in-room fridge so it would start off cold.
11) Hats - I wore my Tilly sunhat. The brim and construction kept me cooler than those who went hatless.
12) Earplugs. Some of the music/sound effects on some rides were too loud for my ears. Besides, who really wants to listen to the lyrics of "It's a small world..." more than once?
13) Sewing kit with extra buttons and safety pins.

Other hints:
1) Stay away from caffinated drinks and sugary sodas. Water is far better.
2) Get up early and go to the park that has the special morning hours. We would then leave after lunch, go back to the room and take a nap and shower. A fresh shirt, socks and shoes and we would leave around 4 to go back to the parks. We seemed to have extra energy. With the park-hopper pass we often would go to a different park at night.

Hope you have a great time. I'm interested in learning from your experiences when you get back.

#94075 - 05/08/07 09:45 PM Re: Gear for Disneyworld Trip [Re: gatormba]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Too bad you won't go with a fanny pack. That's exactly what I'd recommend. Anything you have to carry has to be left behind as you get on rides. A small fanny pack can stay in back or be twisted around to sit in front. No problem on rides - I've never been asked to take one off. I'm not talking about the mega-sized ones that hold two one-liter water bottles though. Just get a small one for each family member (maybe not the kids if they're real young). Drop in a small water bottle that you'll be refilling often, some Tylenol/Advil and bandaids, sunblock, sunglasses, a little snack ... and you're probably good to go. I'm not sure that PSK's and FAK's are all that necessary inside the park.

A backpack or carry bag will not be allowed to stay with you all the time. If you don't mind leaving it to be picked up after the ride, I guess that's fine. I would consider it a hassle myself. If you're dealing with very young kids however, you'll be needing to carry lots more stuff than I'm thinking about for my situation.

#94078 - 05/08/07 10:54 PM Re: Gear for Disneyworld Trip [Re: haertig]
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
If you take a stroller, get a lock for it if it is a high-end one. On many rides and attractions, you will be separated from your stroller for 30 minutes at a time. Theft is certainly uncommon, but not unheard of. Also, any belongings that you will not carry with you should be locked as well. How to lock them is a different problem.

Note that a security guard WILL look through any diaper bags -- not enought to actually find anything dangerous, but just enough to make the sheep feel secure (security theater).

#94084 - 05/08/07 11:26 PM Re: Gear for Disneyworld Trip [Re: gatormba]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Believe it or not, there is a place called Disboards that covers this - BIG time

http://www.disboards.com

One HUGE tip - you can buy water bottles with carbon filters in the bottle (Britta USED to sell them, but it turns out they were violating a patent). Get one for each family member - the water at the water fountains in the park is GROSS, but cold. If you use the bottles, it's great. Now Disney charges like $3 for a drink - you will save a FORTUNE bringing water bottles

They never stopped me with a limited amount of snack food, or with my small pocket knife

Disclaimer: I work for a company owned by Disney, but have NOTHING to do with the parks, except to have gone there 2x in the last 10 years
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#94085 - 05/08/07 11:34 PM Re: Gear for Disneyworld Trip [Re: KG2V]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Oh - a couple more hints. You did NOT say if you are staying "on the property" (aka at a Disney Hotel). If you are, you will find that the Monorail/buses tend to make a car useless - they just work. At that point, hire a car service from the airport to your resort. Most (all?) will stop at the local supermarket, and you can pick up a bunch of stuff, and save more $$ (Hint - your wallet is the biggest thing at risk at the resort)

The hotels are more than glad to accept packages for you, and ship stuff home - you can ship a lot of your stuff down ahead of time

The stores in the parks will all ship to your hotel for pickup (makes it easier to seperate you from your $$)

Another hint - stick your wallet and CELL PHONE in ziplock bags. I went to soak my feet in the hot tube - I fell in - 1 soggy wallet, and ruined cell phone later, I learned that lesson
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#94122 - 05/09/07 03:01 AM Re: Gear for Disneyworld Trip [Re: BrianTexas]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I've only done Disney and Epcot once, but I grew up 15 minutes from Disneyland... Brian TX is right on in his list. I'd ditch the FAK and PSK, since there are RNs at the first aid station, and the EMS in the area has no doubt been there quite often. Moleskin is a great idea. Chapstick, sunblock. It seemed to rain in Ft Lauderdale everyday at 4 exactly. It's warm enough, but muggy, so if you don't want to stay wet, then pack the ponchos. You might want to wrap anything you don't want getting wet.

Good socks. Good shoes. Sunglasses. Maybe some of the FRS radios if you get seperated, of if you want to let the kids roam free. Just don't be one of those annoying families that talks about randomness just to play, with the volume on super HI (pleasepleasepleaseplease). Water and some snacks are a good idea. Camera and extra film, or batteries if digital (consider an extra memory card). That stuff is pretty pricey.

Have fun!

#94131 - 05/09/07 04:11 AM Re: Gear for Disneyworld Trip [Re: gatormba]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Can't help with Disneyworld itself, but having been to Disneyland more times than I care to remember, the thing I used most was a flashlight. It can get DARK there once the sun goes down, and someone is always dropping something into some little nook or crany...

#94162 - 05/09/07 03:51 PM Re: Gear for Disneyworld Trip [Re: MDinana]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: MDinana
I've only done Disney and Epcot once, but I grew up 15 minutes from Disneyland... Brian TX is right on in his list. I'd ditch the FAK and PSK, since there are RNs at the first aid station, and the EMS in the area has no doubt been there quite often. Moleskin is a great idea.

I was carrying a pocket FAK and found it to be useful - particularly the band-aids/moleskin/antiseptic. I thought the same thing as you did until I looked at the maps and found that the Disney first aid stations were usually located only in one place in each park. It seemed to me that having some band-aids to put on a blister or cut was better than having to track down the first aid station. Why let the blister get worse?

I completely agree with you on the serious medical issues. I understand that Disney's medical staff is well-trained and well-prepared.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.