The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#93972 - 05/08/07 12:24 AM Re: survival clothing [Re: flashman]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I don't wear camo but I also never wear blaze orange. Greens including OD and other subdued colors (khaki and tan in the desert) are my primary attire. If I want to be easily seen hot pink surveying ribbon can come out of nowhere. Signal mirrors can be seen at far greater distance than any color attire during the day and chem lights are very visible at night. I've never gone for bright colored clothing.

#93978 - 05/08/07 01:59 AM Re: survival clothing [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: bentirran

For sub zero temperatures at camp I will either wear an Alpkit Down Jacket or a Snugpak Sleeka Reversible Jacket and trousers (Similar technology to the Snugpak Softie Special Forces sleeping bags).

Not to steal the thread, but how do you like the Snugpack stuff? I've seen some of the sleeping bags and parkas in various catalogs, and wondered about them. Haven't heard much about them (good or bad) in the US.

#93983 - 05/08/07 03:08 AM Re: survival clothing [Re: MDinana]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted By: bentirran

For sub zero temperatures at camp I will either wear an Alpkit Down Jacket or a Snugpak Sleeka Reversible Jacket and trousers (Similar technology to the Snugpak Softie Special Forces sleeping bags).

Not to steal the thread, but how do you like the Snugpack stuff? I've seen some of the sleeping bags and parkas in various catalogs, and wondered about them. Haven't heard much about them (good or bad) in the US.

The Snugpak clothing is quite good and performs quite well for synthetic insulation, but not as well as a high quality down clothing. The advantage of course is that although they are slightly heavier than an equivalent down jacket for the same temperature rating they are not effected by damp and wet conditions so much as down clothing. Wet conditions can destroy the insulation properties of a down jacket or sleeping bag. Once this happens it is then difficult to dry them out. The sleeping bags are synthetic also and are up there with the very best synthetic sleeping bags available, even the Scandinavian makes. I have a couple of different sleeping bags, an Alpkit AD500 (Down) at 1200gms -5 degrees Celsius, a Snugpak Softie SF1 (Synthetic) at 1200gms +3 degrees Celsius and a Vango Venom 300 (Down) at 875gms +3 degrees Celcius. Out of the 3 my favorite bag would have to be the Vango. It performs about the same as the Snugpak Softie SF1 but is a good 300gms lighter and packs down incredibly small. Other synthetic insulation jacket and trousers by Nanok of Norway (Special Forces Tactical Range) are also worth taking a look at. They are very similar but the Snugpak Range is slightly more comprehensive. It has been rumoured that the Snugpak code green range bags such as the Softie merlin 3 are being used by some US special forces units or by some US military service personnel (own purchase) but I couldn't confirm this. It might just marketing hype. So to summarize, they are quite good, they do the job, but the very best down clothing will ultimately be warmer, lighter and a bit more comfortable in use if it is kept dry.

Edited by bentirran (05/08/07 03:14 AM)

#93999 - 05/08/07 06:56 AM Re: survival clothing [Re: flashman]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

Use layered clothing and have some bright and
some drab clothing, on each trip. Then it is
your choice what you wear as an outer layer.

Under normal wilderness conditions, muted clothing
is best. Nobody wants to look out in nature and see
a bunch of orange, red, yellow clothing and packs.

For special activities like hunting, boating, Mountain-climbing,
Search and Rescue, you probably need bright clothing/gear.

You can buy a few bright colored covers or shells.
In the US, hunting vests are sold in blaze orange,
either polyester slick fabric or poly knit fabric;
they weigh next to nothing, and take up no room.

Europe might have a similar thing. If not, maybe you can
find some bright colors, cheap, at a thrift (second-hand) store.

#94010 - 05/08/07 12:27 PM Re: survival clothing [Re: flashman]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Gear that blends in, with a safety vest and an obnoxious pack cover in your gear. If you need to be unseen or seen, you are good. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#94015 - 05/08/07 01:03 PM Re: survival clothing [Re: MarshAviator]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I too carry the blaze orange bandanas when in the woods. I have modified them by adding small brass grommets to the corners so that I can use them as a signal flag if needed.

#94016 - 05/08/07 01:14 PM Re: survival clothing [Re: Matt26]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Since the vast majority of my time in the woods is spent hunting, or preparing for hunting, I wear hunting gear, which does include camoflauge pattern clothing only because that is the only style I can find the items I want in. However, due to regulations, I also have enough blaze orange on to be seen so idiots who shoot first won't mistake me for a deer. Past that, I have enough signal/high vis items with me to pretty much ensure anyone looking for me will see me if they get an unobstructed view.

As for the Tam-O-Shanter, I reckon it helps a lot too if you have a big mop of Bozo-Orange hair. Frankie, please tell me that ain't you, or at least you're wearing a wig if it is.

Yep, layers, and a means of packing them around proper when you have to shed some. I don't care much for tying sleeves around my neck or waist.

#94021 - 05/08/07 01:58 PM Re: survival clothing [Re: benjammin]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: benjammin
As for the Tam-O-Shanter, I reckon it helps a lot too if you have a big mop of Bozo-Orange hair. Frankie, please tell me that ain't you, or at least you're wearing a wig if it is.

I was looking for images on google and I posted that one. I thought it would be funny but actually what I'm talking about is more like what you can find here and it's made of wool (not probably velvet).

Frankie

#94030 - 05/08/07 03:09 PM People notice more than you think, and react to it [Re: flashman]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

With all camo, consider how conspicuous you look,
either on the way to the trail-head or even on the
trail. People may go out of their way to snoop into
what you are doing or to relay info (gossip) on what
they saw.

If you must wear camo pants, wear a bright shirt.
Solid colored BDU pants are not noticed much because
cargo pants have been a style for about 8 years in
the US.

Plaid shirts are better than camo shirts, because
when people do see you, they think nothing of it.
When trying to avoid being seen, in the bush, plaid
can work almost as good as camo, sometimes better.

Edited by Hike4Fun (05/08/07 03:11 PM)

#94050 - 05/08/07 06:12 PM Re: People notice more than you think, and react to it [Re: Hike4Fun]
duckear Offline
Addict

I don't go out into the woods to be seen, but to see. I dress in drab khakis, greens and other earthtones as well as camo. I do have signaling items if I choose to be visible.

I do like brightly dressed hikers....it helps me avoid them.

Edited by duckear (05/08/07 06:13 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 605 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.