Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9382 - 09/18/02 08:43 PM My hunting / hiking kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Although I carry a small tin with me daily and my vehicles hold backpack kits, I have a dedicated kit that goes with me when hunting and hiking. Tell me what you think:<br><br>The pouch began life as a personal first aid kit. It's a 5.5"H x 6.5"W x 3.75"D nylon zippered bag. Attached to the zipper pull is a small caribeaner and a Photon I. The entire kits rides in a 1 gallon zip-loc baggie. This little pack will hold a surprisingly large amount of gear with seperate pockets everywhere. Contents are as follows:<br><br>First Aid:<br>5" x 9" Combine pad (1)<br>Band aids (large assortment of sizes and shapes)<br>Medical tape (1-1" wide roll, 1-.5" wide role)<br>Alcohol preps (12)<br>Antiseptic wipes (6)<br>CPR face shield (1)<br>Elastic bandage 3" (1)<br>Gauze pads 3"x3" (4)<br>Gauze pads 4"x4" (6)<br>Moleskin 3"x4" (1)<br>Non-adherent pads 2"x3" (4)<br>Steri-strips (10)<br>Triangular bandage (1)<br>Gloves (2pair)<br>Tweezer<br>Scapel blades (2)<br>2" gauze bandage roll<br>Various meds (the typical stuff that comes in commercial first aid kits)<br>Needles (2)<br>Pen light<br><br>Survival:<br>Mag. fire starter<br>Bic lighter<br>Matches in waterproof container<br>Button compass<br>Whistle<br>Foil (4 seperate sheets)<br>Small saw (approx 4" folded) Wood blade & Metal blade<br>Paracord (25 ft)<br>Bandanna<br>SAK<br>Small AAA waterproof flashlight w/extra batteries (2 sets)<br>3 seperate bags of tinder (cotton balls)<br>Condom (unlubed)<br>Space blanket<br>Small mirror<br>Film canister fishing kit containing: 8 assorted hooks, 10 sinkers, 2 flies, 2 small jigs, 1 foam float and 20 feet 10lb test fishing line wrapped around the canister and covered with tape.<br>2 shoe laces<br>Safety Pins (6)<br>Sewing kit (very minimal..freebe from a motel)<br>Aqua tabs (1 bottle)<br>Neutrilizer (1 bottle)<br>$20 cash<br>25ft. Spyderwire<br>1 small bottle hand sanitizer (great fire starter)<br>Zip-loc bag (1 gallon folded up)<br><br>Edited part: Forgot the following:<br>2 large needles <br>6 birthday candles<br>1 tea candle<br>Snake bite kit (small)<br><br><br>What else do I need?<br>

Edited by KevMullins (09/18/02 10:30 PM)

#9383 - 09/18/02 10:06 PM Re: My hunting / hiking kit
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Kev: I'm not well-qualified to comment on your kit, not having assembled one of my own. But I notice you have three different sources of light, possibly using three different batteries (I'm not sure what the "penlight" in your first aid section uses.)<br><br>Otherwise it looks great to me.<br><br>Maybe you could cut that back to two flashlights that use the same type of battery. Maybe a red and white Photon II. Maybe two ARC AAA lights.<br><br>The choice of a common battery might also depend on other battery-powered gear you may sometimes use when hiking -- say a radio or a walkie-talkie.<br><br>Is the "combine pad" a field-dressing kind of thing to treat larger wounds? If not you might consider adding a couple of panty liners.<br>

#9384 - 09/18/02 10:41 PM Re: My hunting / hiking kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

dchinell,<br><br>Thanks for the feedback. Firstly, the small AAA flashlight was put in as my main (and only) source of "backup" light. The thought was that this was just a backup, because when I'm hunting or hiking, I normally carry a "bigger" light (usually a AAA Headlamp, so the batteries are compatible). The penlight (you know..one of the disposable things that docs use to check your pupils) came in a pack of six that I purchased for my car / home med kits. It was left over, so I thought I'd throw it in but be willing to take it out if the space was needed for something else. The photon was also a left over afterthought. I got a couple from a guy on the net and just attached it to the caribeaner so I could find it easily. It's just stayed as a backup to a backup, I guess :D<br><br>The combine pad is a medium trauma dressing for larger wounds. This item was an orginal with the first aid kit.<br><br>Again, thanks for the input.

#9385 - 09/19/02 12:59 AM Re: My hunting / hiking kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What kind of snakebite kit are you using? If it is the Cutter type I would strongly suggest throwing it away. Most kits do more harm than good. The Sawyer unit reviewed by Doug is a usefull unit. I have used mine on insect bites, a rattlesnake envenomated horse and a stingray injury ( in retrospect more placebo than effective due to the viscous nature of the toxin). There are mixed reviews on it's effectiveness, but it at least adhers to the maxim "Do no harm" in a worse case. All bites are still best cared for with rapid evacuation to proper medical care. If snakes are a potential problem a set of fiberglass snake guards or dedicated boots are usefull ( and heavy). Moleskin was part of my kit untill recently. I have been told severe blisters covered with moleskin can become infected. removable molefoam is a better option.

#9386 - 09/19/02 01:20 AM Re: My hunting / hiking kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris,<br><br>The snakebite kit is a sawyer extractor. The case was too big to fit, so the pieces and parts rest in a couple of seperate pockets. As to the snakebite boots, I have a pair of Rocky Snake Boots that are VERY comfortable and not near as heavy as my LaCrosse hunting boots. Didn't know that about the moleskin...thanks for the heads up.<br><br>Kev

#9387 - 09/19/02 03:57 AM Re: My hunting / hiking kit
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
A boring story by way of adding in my 2 cents:<br><br>Last year I ended up with severe blisters on each foot (old boots that decided to totally break down combined with 16 hour days out on the fire line were part of the cause). The EMTs who doctored me up and sent me back out on the line had run out of molefoam. They cut out a hole in the moleskin so it wouldn't be on the worst part of the blister (just the remaining "hot spot" was covered). They built it up in 2 layers, dabbed on some neosporin, covered that with gauze and taped up my whole foot. It worked like a charm - I was on the fire for another 5 days and the only worry I had was exposing the open part of the wound to something in the shower trailer (ugh!). I removed the dressing every evening and put a new one on in the morning.<br><br>I carry something like this combination all the time now. The moleskin works best (for me) when I feel a hot spot developing. I found the molefoam to be too thick for that. I have new boots now so maybe I'll give it a try again.

#9388 - 09/19/02 04:23 AM Re: My hunting / hiking kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

KevMullins<br><br>I'd put the birthday candles in if they are the trick ones that re-light, just wrap them in saran in case they melt. (very low temp. wax) Unless you hunt only in cold weather, it might be a good idea to include a packet of Oral Rehydration Solution. It really helped a hunting partner out two seasons ago. A mosquito headnet is very handy, especially during Dove and early Teal season. The headnet can also be used as a bait catcher for fishing (grasshoppers, minnows,bird trap, ect.) They do not work everywhere, but I would have paid $200.00 for the use of a cellphone one time.<br><br>Regards<br>Hunter<br>I have added thes to my kit after the fact.

#9389 - 09/19/02 04:27 AM Re: My hunting / hiking kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

In no way boring. Very informative.<br><br>Hunter

#9390 - 09/20/02 12:43 AM Re: My hunting / hiking kit
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
David,<br><br>Could you provide some details on your use of a mosquito headnet during dove hunting?<br><br>We typically hunt doves in hot (80-110 degree F.) weather which is also humid. Sometimes the mosquitos attack in legions. We use repellent lavishly but I'd love a good alternative, especially for the kids. <br><br>What kind, and brand of mosquito netting did you get? Where is it available? Does it impair your hunting vision & stock-cheek weld? Does it make you feel hotter?<br><br>Thanks a lot,<br><br>John

#9391 - 09/20/02 03:54 AM Re: My hunting / hiking kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Slap me upside of the head with a skien of moleskin for not thinking of this!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 392 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.