Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#93510 - 05/03/07 06:52 PM Knife suggestions for Emergency Survival Kit.
OddArne Offline
stranger

Hi there everyone! My first post on this thing.

As a "less is more" type of guy, I also go this way with my small emergency kit. It`s pretty much Tom Brown size, except mine costs about ten times more. For numberous reasons I just enjoy having high quality stuff.

So anyway, in my super small kit, I need a knife. I`ve been thinking about a multi tool, but I can`t seem to come up with any reason for it, so a foldingknife should do the trick.

Anyone have any options for high quality, small and light folders?

Thanks

#93515 - 05/03/07 07:17 PM Re: Knife suggestions for Emergency Survival Kit. [Re: OddArne]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
How small is small? What closed dimensions are you looking for?

#93522 - 05/03/07 07:45 PM Re: Knife suggestions for Emergency Survival Kit. [Re: NightHiker]
OddArne Offline
stranger

I guess somewhere around 4-5 inches long when closed and about 50 to 150g.

I`m not exactly a knife expert and defintly not when it comes to english terms for details, so I`m just looking for a bunch of suggestions, I guess. I can`t find much in this range, probably cause I don`t know where to look. I`ve looked a bit at the Tops stuff, but I won`t be able to try them. I`m sure there`s a bunch of stuff out there that I haven`t heard about.

Most important is that it`s something that can handle being used. I guess any knife could cut a seatbelt, so I`m looking for something that can handle both chooping wood(with help from something to hit it with offcourse) as well as some crow bar style action for doors, hatches, cutting some metal or worst case scenario, stuck limbs.

I guess plain edge would be fine, unless someone has any suggestion for why it would be a bad choice.

#93527 - 05/03/07 08:49 PM Re: Knife suggestions for Emergency Survival Kit. [Re: OddArne]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
How much are you willing to pay? In a folder, you really aren't going to get something for use as a crowbar (why bother when you can get a small prybar for less then $20). As for chopping/batonning wood. I always suggest people don't get a knife with too goofy of a blade shape. The shapes that have been around for a long time have been around for a reason, they work. Knives I personally have used and would recommend are the Gerber EZ-out in a plain edge. Very light, good edge. The handle is thin but comfortable. Also the Spyderco Native III, also in plain edge (I don't particularly like serrated blades). Slightly heavier then the EZ-out, but not by much. Both have good lock back, locking blades. I also recently picked up and Opinel #7. Very simple knife. The blade is thinner then a lot of other knives, but takes a very good edge. The knife also has a simple, non-automatic locking ring.

The Opinel was about $10, the Gerber EZ-out ~$20 and the Spyderco Native ~$40.

Also if you know you're going to be doing a lot of chopping, a light ax, hatchet or tomahawk will serve you better then a heavy knife. I find the combination of a smaller lighter knife with a tomahawk works very well. The knife's blade stays sharper and is more effective and controllable then a larger knife used for both tasks. And the tomahawk can be used to chop or the head can be used as a wedge for batonning. Plus I find hatchet or tomahawk more comfortable to carry then a large knife since all the weight is concentrated in the head, which is right at your belt and doesn't flop around.

#93534 - 05/03/07 09:33 PM Re: Knife suggestions for Emergency Survival Kit. [Re: AROTC]
OddArne Offline
stranger

It`s just a knife for my very small belt pack. When I go out somewhere I know I need a knife I bring the heavy custom stuff. There are extra non-folding knifes and usually an axe in my baclpack. Just trying to keep it light, but I know the times I forget a knife and need one, I need something solid.

I was just reading a letter on the Tops site from a guy who broke open a toilet door with a 747 Magnum, so I thought why not get something the grandkids can enjoy. Could serve as an extra knife for someone who didn`t bring one, too. It seems when I think back, most of what I put in my kit could have been very useful in many situations I`ve been in. So I`m just looking for a back-up, but I`m a bit weird that way. I don`t really want to own stuff that hasn`t been made with love and care and can last generations. In the end it usually ends up cheaper, too. And better for the environment. smile

There isn`t much else in my kit, so I`m ok spending a lot on a knife. Even if it`s my emergency kit, that`s the piece I`ll probably bring out a little bit in non-emergencies. All hardware is considered lifetime investments for me. Unlike caviar it doesn`t get used up.lol

So far the Tops Knives 747 Magnum and the Cold Steel AK-47 look interesting.

Not much chance to check out anything here in Norway, but I`m taking a trip to Montreal soon and everyting islike half price there compared to here.

I`ll take a look at your suggestions.

Thanks smile

#93535 - 05/03/07 09:36 PM Re: Knife suggestions for Emergency Survival Kit. [Re: OddArne]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Do you have a saw in your kit? A can opener? If not, may a Victorinox Trekker.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#93538 - 05/03/07 09:53 PM Re: Knife suggestions for Emergency Survival Kit. [Re: ironraven]
OddArne Offline
stranger

It`s probably the worlds simplest kit:

NATO Compass
Firsteel Wrapped in parachute cord
Fishing line and hooks
Homemade miniature Nuwick Candle
Whistle
Space Blanket
1mx1m heavy plastic sheet
Rubber tubing
Small titanium cup
Watertabs

It`s generally not meant to be used. Lighter, flaslight and small multitool is always on me for daily use. Even a couple of NAP Unibars. smile

#93539 - 05/03/07 09:57 PM Re: Knife suggestions for Emergency Survival Kit. [Re: ironraven]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

May I suggest a knife copany that sells most brands and types of knifes. Find one tht sutes you, half the fun is finding the right knife. Go to www.budk.com and click on the folder button at the top of the page. have fun

#93555 - 05/03/07 11:40 PM Re: Knife suggestions for Emergency Survival Kit. [Re: OddArne]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Well this is one of those questions with no answers.

Prying and folders is really not compatible.

Prying with any knife is something I do not consider knife work.

TOPS...stuff in my view, is generally way overbuilt...I want a sharp knife not a hunk of steel.

I generally find Spyderco offers some excellent folders at good prices with good steel.

With your kit list I would add a thin alox SAK (say a Farmer with saw) or a Spyderco Delica (I would also add some tinder and make sure you can scrape sparks with something).

Edit:
Actually I just realized you were in Norway....I would add a Helle or Bruseletto...3" or so, mora type knife.

Edited by Schwert (05/03/07 11:43 PM)

#93587 - 05/04/07 02:41 AM Re: Knife suggestions for Emergency Survival Kit. [Re: OddArne]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Yeah, for that I'd go with a good SAK or multitool with a saw and either pliers or scissors, your call.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 352 Guests and 83 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.