The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9335 - 09/17/02 03:28 PM Survival Keychains
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Check these out. Pete<br><br>http://www.survivalkeychain.com/sk.asp<br><br>http://www.survivalkeychain.com/dsk.asp

#9336 - 09/17/02 03:45 PM Re: Survival Keychains
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Nice! Both the Survival Keychain and the Deluxe Survival Keychain look easily pocketable, inobtrusive, and low-key. Oh boy, I want one!<br><br>I see both versions offer the Swiss-Tech Utili-Key. Has anyone here actually used theirs? How handy are they?<br><br>Looks like competition for Ranger Rick's Survival Necklace (http://www.equipped.org/rangerrick_necklace.htm).

Edited by Craig (09/17/02 04:00 PM)

#9337 - 09/19/02 04:22 AM Re: Survival Keychains
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
I want one too! Actually, I already have almost all of the parts. The "spy capsules" looked extra handy. I have daily medication I have to take and these look like something that would come in very handy as part of my EDC.<br><br>Does anyone know where to purchase a "spy capsule"?

#9338 - 09/19/02 05:15 AM Re: Survival Keychains
Anonymous
Unregistered

the company that makes them http://www.bisondesigns.com/aluminum/keycaddies/largecapsule.htm<br><br>rei sells them<br><br>

#9339 - 09/19/02 07:55 AM Re: Survival Keychains
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Craig,<br><br>I have used my Utili-Key dozens of times for those odd moments when you just need something right away. I have used the Philips screwdriver to remove small screws, I have used the tiny flat screwdriver for glasses and the blade for peeling oranges and cutting boxes open. A real handy tool for that "emergency" situation. And it makes for a conversation piece with almost everyone..LOL

#9340 - 09/19/02 12:38 PM Re: Survival Keychains
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA

#9341 - 09/19/02 01:52 PM Re: Survival Keychains
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Yes they are from BISON, they also have whisltes, key-chain carbiners and belts. Cool site for some neat stuff. Pete<br><br>http://www.bisonbelts.com/aluminum/keycaddies/caddies.htm

#9342 - 09/29/02 10:48 AM Re: Survival Keychains
Milestand Offline

Greetings to the Survival Forum!<br><br>When I have previously thought about keychain carried matches in an sealed metal container, I have had a niggling concern about the possibility of a friction between the matches causing a small explosion in my pocket. Has anyone heard of this happening -- am I being paranoid? <br><br>P.S.: That micro butane lantern on http://www.milltools.com/spycaps.html looks very cool - I wonder why it was discontinued and/or if it is available elsewhere?

#9343 - 09/29/02 02:05 PM Re: Survival Keychains
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Of course it can happen. But it's not very likely. Once, as I was heading out on a deployment in the middle of the night, my beloved was checking bits and pieces of my kit as I was dressing. A loud, sharp report, simultaneous with a subsonic projectile passing near me made my instincts shriek " accidental pistol shot!" Then the odor and bits of plastic shrapnel hit me and I knew what happened before I turned around. My wife - more of a greenhorn than me at the time, had decided that I didn't have enough strike-anywhere matches in my match safe, so she stuffed more into it - a lot more - and screwed the lid on. They were packed in so tightly that one or more heads were above the rim AND could not be seated deeper because the safe was so full. As she tightened the cap on the last bit, the lid crushed and set off the highest match. In forensic circles, this is a pipe bomb <grin>... Other than the cap to the safe, some minor burns, and a sprained thumb, no harm - we were very lucky.<br><br>They do not have enough mass at any acceleration your body can survive to ignite from sliding back and forth in a safe and "normal" strike-anywhere matches do not have a tip that is exposed to friction on the side of the head. Rarely, one will see a "mutated" match that has too much strike-anywhere on it that has slopped over onto a side - don't stuff those in a safe. Otherwise, though, they are not hazardous to carry. Give the matter some thought and I'm sure you can see that.<br><br>BTW, "safety matches" can be a hazard. I recall my Dad showing up a bit tardy for a function we were both attending. He was grimacing a bit as he walked... seems he had to return to his hotel room and change his trousers... as he was walking to the function, his pocket erupted in flames, burning the top of his thigh and ruining his trousers. He had two books of safety matches in that pocket - the striker on one book had intruded onto the heads of the matches on the other book and as he walked... <br><br>Match safes are not dangerous as long as you don't do something foolish with them.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

#9344 - 09/29/02 03:50 PM Re: Survival Keychains
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I tried to provoke this by filling matches into the container and shaking the container (just didnīt want to find out with the container in my pocket). The matches didnīt ignite. I fill the top of the container with cotton wool anyway. <br>If youīre not sure with the matches in your container, maybe a little test will make you feel safer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 721 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.