Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#9321 - 09/18/02 08:03 PM Re: Hot Spark
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think it that I use the striker that comes with it and I don't find it all that good

#9322 - 09/20/02 12:16 PM Re: Hot Spark
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi Pete,<br><br>Using the striker supplied with the Swedish Firesteel has never given me trouble, I can light a fire with the Firesteel using the supplied striker anytime.<br><br>However you have to watch the angle you tiltthe scraper/striker compared to the firesteel and also the striker is stamped from thin sheet metal so one side is smoother/rounded while the other side is more rough and that side strikes sparks the best.<br><br>If you still have problems, there are two ways to solve it, first practice more, I reguarly light a fire 30-40 times using only the Large Military Firesteel and fine slivers/scrapings of Maya-wood when we are attending a fancy fair or community fest to show our Scouting group and try to find new members.<br><br>The second way would be to use a short piece of hacksaw blade, the metal saw one with the super fine teeth, using that as a striker will throw a lot of sparks easilly but also eat up your firesteel more rapidly.<br><br>I prefer the practice path, for me bigger/larger etc is no real solution if you practice enough you get lots of 'jobs' done with less, it saves on carrying weight also ;)<br><br>Best Scouting wishes from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera (Piet = Pete in English)

#9323 - 09/22/02 12:27 PM Re: Hot Spark
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bageera,<br>I just had another go at the firesteel, and it worked brilliantly, I was just holding it at the wrong angle. Thanks<br>Is there a way to remove the flint from its handle, as it is too bulky for me

#9324 - 09/27/02 07:00 AM Re: Hot Spark
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi Pete,<br><br>The Flintsteel is only inserted about 1/4-3/8" into the plastic thumbpiece.<br><br>It's easy to remove by grinding the plastic thumbpiece on a belt sander, the plastic will get hot and flexible and you can take out the flintsteel rod easilly.<br><br>Then comes the fun part, using a slow turning bench drill, take a drillbit that you won't be using in the future anymore size? 1/8" or so and start drilling a hole through the end of the flintsteel.<br>MAKE SURE you have nothing flammable on the workbench or synthetics on your body because you will burn holes in it :D<br><br>I use a wet rag (dripping) to stop the wood below the firesteel that I drill from catching fire, I even have thought about putting the firesteel in a small tupper ware-ish plastic box fill it with water until it's under water and then drill it holding on to the flintrod by hand.<br>Still I don't like my fingers in water when working with an electric appliance.<br><br>Well, enjoy the fireworks and you'll notice how slowly you drill through the flint rod, it has a kind of sub lubricating consistency that nmakes it hard to drill to fast + of course all the sparks flying around.<br><br>After you've drilled the hole put a split-ring through it and you have a lot mor e packable flintsteel and still a lot of control by holding onto the split-ring.<br><br>Have fun, please don't torch the house or yourself,<br><br>Bagheera

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 338 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.