Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9156 - 09/11/02 11:30 AM Info sleeping bags
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there,<br><br>I have read about the Wiggy sleeping bags. What is so special about them?<br>My sleeping bag is a Western Mountaineering Ultralight. I like it very much. Light, little package and for 90 % of my use warm enough. The only disadvantage is, when sleeping without a tent,the wind chill you out and I will start freezing. I don't like bivi-covers because there it's more package and the moist air can't disappear. Gore-Tex is to expensive for traveling just a few days a year. <br>Does anybody know a good synthetic filled sleeping bag for - 5 degress which isn't very bulky and not too heavy. I want to use it for motorbike tours and other tours in Europe (where I still live). In approx. one month I will visit California and would have the chance to buy it there.<br><br>Anyone know some great stores for survival and camping stuff around LA?<br><br>Thank you guys,<br>Dieter<br>Germany / Stuttgart

#9157 - 09/11/02 01:10 PM Re: Info sleeping bags
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Welcome, Dieter!<br><br>Are you looking for a suitable bag for -5 deg C or -5 deg F?<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

#9158 - 09/11/02 01:13 PM Re: Info sleeping bags
Anonymous
Unregistered

For Los Angeles area stores, I would recommend REI and Adventure 16(both have several outlets around the area). Try a tarp pitched to windward rather than a bivy cover. My understadning is that Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, and Wiggys all produce very fine, warm, light bags. I don't know because I am using a really fine Marmot bag that is twenty years old.

#9159 - 09/11/02 01:14 PM Re: Info sleeping bags
Anonymous
Unregistered

For Los Angeles area stores, I would recommend REI and Adventure 16(both have several outlets around the area). Try a tarp pitched to windward rather than a bivy cover. My understanding is that Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, and Wiggys all produce very fine, warm, light bags. I don't know because I am using a really fine Marmot bag that is twenty years old.

#9160 - 09/11/02 11:44 PM Re: Info sleeping bags
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Syl,<br><br>In addition to the other fine recommendations, you might also consider Sports Chalet. It. too, carries excellent gear.<br><br>John

#9161 - 09/12/02 07:30 AM Thank's...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank's for the great advice.<br>The idea with the tarp is really good.<br>I also want another sleeping bag. Down feathers get cold when wet and the Ultralight bag is very sensitive against wind. The nylon is so porous that you are able to breath<br>through the layers. That's the opposite for lightwight. A light breeze of wind and I feel cold. I want to use the tarp only when the wind blows stronger. And so I will look for a more wind-resistant outer shell. The most bags, which I have seen, are very bulky and heavy. A tip for a good bag for -5 degree Celsius (thank's Tom, I forgot that we have metric system, aso.). The most test about lightwight sleeping bags are for down feather bags and no synthetics.<br><br>Dieter<br>Germany/Stuttgart

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 760 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.