Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#90261 - 04/03/07 07:43 AM Re: Checklists and safety booklet for kids [Re: Kuovonne]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Thanks for the ideas.

The checklists are copied/printed for each outing so the original in the booklet stays intact.

I made the booklet late at night after the kids went to sleep and I get done with work, so it is not perfect. I do want to make a revision so am gathering indeas. Maybe on our next camping trip, I can get the kids to model for version 2 to make the instructions clearer.

Our trails tend to be pretty well maintained so we don't have a lot of fallen logs lying around the trails, where I would want the kids to stay. And I have no idea if they are more or less conductive.

The trees at trailside tend to be of pretty even and uniform growth. I am more concerned about the kids moving off the trail for some perceived safety. I think it more prudent that they stay trailside where they are more likely to be found quickly.

Trying to cram all my thoughts into something as small as possible while tired makes for not necessarily the clearest format. But I do like the idea of action pictures with the kids.

Do any of you have any ideas of other things to add?

#90262 - 04/03/07 08:12 AM Re: Checklists and safety booklet for kids [Re: aloha]
balrog Offline

The chances of a lightning strike on Oahu is very rare.

Are the children able to open the packaging for the space blanket and the poncho easily?

Have the parents dress the kids in a bright colored top.

What trails are you taking them on?

#90313 - 04/04/07 02:18 AM Re: Checklists and safety booklet for kids [Re: aloha]
Kuovonne Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, TX
Hi,

As I said before, I think you did a great job with the booklet.

1) I think that the idea of taking action shots of the girls on your next outting for the next version of the booklet is a great idea.

2) On the "if lost" section, do you tell the kiddos what to do if they hear someone calling for them? e.g. If you are lost and hear someone calling for you, signal back (whistle, flash, yell) but stay put untill you can actually see the adult.

-Kuovonne

#90338 - 04/04/07 08:01 AM Re: Checklists and safety booklet for kids [Re: balrog]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: balrog
The chances of a lightning strike on Oahu is very rare.

Are the children able to open the packaging for the space blanket and the poncho easily?

Have the parents dress the kids in a bright colored top.

What trails are you taking them on?

Aloha balrog,

There are able to open everything in the kit. They have their own brightly decorated shirts that they like to wear out hiking and camping.

The keikis have gone on Diamond Head, Manoa Falls, Aiea Loop, Waimano, Waimea Falls and Ho'omaluhia to name a few.

#90339 - 04/04/07 08:04 AM Re: Checklists and safety booklet for kids [Re: Kuovonne]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Kuovonne
Hi,

As I said before, I think you did a great job with the booklet.

1) I think that the idea of taking action shots of the girls on your next outting for the next version of the booklet is a great idea.

2) On the "if lost" section, do you tell the kiddos what to do if they hear someone calling for them? e.g. If you are lost and hear someone calling for you, signal back (whistle, flash, yell) but stay put untill you can actually see the adult.

-Kuovonne

Aloha Kuovonne,

Thanks, I think the booklet is an ok first attempt, but I am not totally satisfied with it. I really like the action shots idea, but since this was done before any of the hiking and camping trips...But I will add them into a future edition.

The what to do if lost part was gone over and they have practiced it and periodically get surprise questions on it in addition to regular review. The booklet is just a prop, it is the process of learning this that really matters.

#90495 - 04/05/07 09:27 PM Re: Checklists and safety booklet for kids [Re: aloha]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Hi Aloha,

I love your idea. I'm a children's book illustrator, so this kind of thing is right up my alley. Personally I have always wanted to see something that made preparedness more accessible to children, so I applaud your effort!

Have you examined educational children's books in the store for your target age group? I'm not sure if this project was intended for 5 year olds, but parts of it seem very "wordy" (the checklist) and are probably beyond their comprehension. MDinana has some good comments with how to explain the STOP acronym.

Things like the checklist would do very well with a small image of the item right beside the word. I see you have a photo of the bag and components already, which is helpful. Usually in the industry there would be clean black and white line drawings, color "spots" (small illustrations) or photos throughout the book showing the equipment and how it is worn or used.

If you have the time, check out a few books in the educational market. Workbook-type breakdowns of information, age-appropriate language, lots of illustrations or photos, and presentation are often over-looked by the casual reader but make a huge difference in being understood by the child.

Lastly, please consider changing from that gray background to something lighter (even white) to make the text easier to read and save on your printer ink!

Sorry if my advice just basically puts more work on you. Your project is a very good idea and looks like tons of fun. I don't even have kids and I want to make one too, must be because I make kid's stuff for a living anyway.

#90596 - 04/06/07 08:13 PM Re: Checklists and safety booklet for kids [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Aloha Christina,

The background is white, but when I saved the pages as images, it added the grey backgroud. The checklists are for the parents to go over with the kids. It wasn't meant to easy child reading.

I really envision the kids only looking at the back cover.

Let me know when your book comes out and I will buy one.

I have gotten so much good feedback, I am not sure where to begin.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 658 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by Michael2
Today at 04:38 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.