Like OBG mentioned in the PSK thread, I used GI web gear when I ran around in the woods as a kid. It was excellent for the SAR stuff we did in CAP. Well, I still have it, but as a “responsible adult” I don’t use it for fear of looking like some kind of mall-ninja.

But I miss it. I really got used to being able to get at most of my gear without having to drop my pack and rummage around. Right there at the end, I picked up a “LBV” load bearing vest which solved a few shortcomings of the traditional web gear setup. However, while the ALICE three-mag pouches were just the right size, the two-mag pouches on the vest where too narrow.

I slept through the introduction of MOLLE and I’m just now catching up on all the neat stuff out there nowadays.

Now, with the widespread popularity of “coyote” tan colored gear, if worn in a green forest environment it might be mistaken for an overstuffed fishing vest - perfect. Or, I might just look like a particularly clueless play-soldier. There's always OD. Basic black makes you look like a SWAT team.

What to do? I suppose I could just join the military. Or if I ever get back into SAR, I can tell curious hikers “Why, I’m field testing search and rescue gear. Go about your business, citizen.”

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."