Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#9004 - 09/10/02 10:35 PM New packaging exercise
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was thinking today about the uncomfortable lumps that the hard altoids tins make in my pockets and was casting about for alternative packaging thoughts for urban EDC. I thought, "why not use the safety pins in my FAK to form a envelope from a large bandanna and stuff the FAK stuff in there. I would gain a bandanna and lose a lump. Not waterProof but most of that stuff is individually wrapped anyway. Any thoughts guys and girls? Any folding techniques? Anyone tried something like this yet? Do the safety pins stay closed or am I going to be bleeding half way through the first day?<br><br>

#9005 - 09/10/02 11:31 PM Re: New packaging exercise
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I had this indian friend ( P/C term native american, though he was born in Canada) who wore a beautifully beaded 'medicine pouch ' on a neckthong.One day a starry eyed student timidly asked if it was his 'medicine bundle'. Sure is! and he displayed his sacred articles of; car keys, aspirin,antacids and coins for emergency phone calls. Why not dump everything into a ziplock bag and wrap with the bandanna? Finish with a few overhand knots a la' dirty laundry.

#9006 - 09/10/02 11:43 PM Re: New packaging exercise
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
A good safety pin will stay closed. The head of the pin tends to catch loose threads or seams though. The hard case provides mechanical protection. If you pack pointy or fragile objects in your kit, the badana isnīt exactly the best container. Otherwise you could go for it.<br>For the folding technique:<br>put the bandana on a table, put the first items about 2" away from the seam right in the middle of the bndana. Fold the seam up (first item should be at the folding edge now). Fold the sides to the middle. Roll the package tightly.

#9007 - 09/11/02 12:02 AM Re: New packaging exercise
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your idea brought back some memories from years ago. I went to the ringling bros. circus and the hobo clown himself had a bandana tied up into a bundle and attacked to a stick and carried over his shoulder. Seems I remember cartoons and maybe a hobo or two in the movies that carried a bandana bundle like that too. :o)

#9008 - 09/11/02 03:20 AM Re: New packaging exercise
Anonymous
Unregistered

And then wrap with duct tape??

#9009 - 09/11/02 06:42 AM Re: New packaging exercise
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
No, if you want to have duct tape, youīll have to resort to other techniques (there are some good tips posted in this forum).

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 479 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.