Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8946 - 09/08/02 05:46 PM Opinions on rescue knife carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently acquired a new Spyderco Blue Rescue and plan on carrying it on a daily basis for EDC work and non-work carry. I tend to carry two blades, plain and serrated, and this knife will fill my needs just fine for both emergency and for utility purposes, as needed. <br><br>I was curious if any of you carry a rescue knife on your person, or PSK, for any emergency or use that may arise where the sheepsfoot serrated blade would be more appropriate. Thanks for any feedback.

#8947 - 09/08/02 06:19 PM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A Spyderco sheepsfoot is my primary carry around horses. The ability to open a one handed knife around a struggling horse, cut lead lines, reins etc. without stabbing the horse ( or me) is paramount. Everytime we have a fire in Southern California Horses are evacuated. I get horses that have trailer loading problems,drivers who flip trailers and horses with halters melted and burned into flesh.

#8948 - 09/09/02 02:45 AM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

For the past sixteen years, I have not felt properly dressed unless I had a Leatherman on my belt. Over the last four years or so, I have come to appreciate the virtues of the Wave, despite its significantly heavier weight. One of these is the ability to open either locking blade with one hand. I also like the availability of other tools, especially the needle nose pliers. I employed these a few weeks ago to remove a massive staple from a document for a lady at the office copier (what would we do without these gadgets?) I'll leave the wild horses to Chris - I was never very comfortable around stock.

#8949 - 09/09/02 09:33 AM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I carry a Buck crosslock with a gutting hook. The hook is good for cutting things close to the body (e. g. safety belts, clothing, thin lines). Itīs much safer than the sheepsfoot blade. <br>My first aid kit for my motorcycle has a belt knife in it. <br>I always carry a multitool ( either the Leatherman wave or a Gerber Multiplier).<br>I must admit that Iīm not too fond of serrated blades, but thatīs personal taste.

#8950 - 09/09/02 09:59 PM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
I carry 2 rescue knives. My primary expected use is flat webbing cutting (seatbelts).<br><br>The one I have in each car is the Jack Emergency Knife for cutting seatbelts (search for item 16909). The other which I carry on my belt is the Benchmade Rescue Hook.<br><br>Both are designed to cut webbing with a bit more safety than a traditional blade. <br><br>About a month ago on I-405 outside of Kirkland WA, a family of 4 were driving on the freeway and were involved in an accident where their car caught fire. The husband was assisted out of the car with sever burns, but his wife and two babies burned to death. It was reported that people tried to assist but had no knife and could not remove the seatbelts from the flaming interior of the car. I always carry the Benchmade.<br><br>I also have but no longer carry the Spyderco Rescue. I recommend this serrated Sheepsfoot blade for cutting larger lines.

#8951 - 09/10/02 04:38 AM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
I carry a Benchmade Model 100 River & Rescue (fixed blade) with a plain edge, but I have been thinking of switching to a Myerchin A508, which will save me the thickness of the handle scales and add a shackle opener and marline spike to boot. I'm not too thrilled about the serrated edge on the Myerchin, but serrations are good for line and webbing cuts.<br><br>Although the Benchmade 100 doesn't have a true sheepsfoot, its point isn't that dangerous. The Benchmade usually lives in my briefcase along with a Leatherman Wave.<br><br>I've discovered that for most EDC utility purposes, a Victorinox MiniChamp II covers most of my needs, plus most people don't seem to get too bothered by its size. If I really need a bigger knife for a utilitarian purpose occasionally, I'll risk the edge of my other EDC knife, a Gerber Harsey Air Ranger II.<br><br>With at least four EDC knives available, I can usually find the right blade for any particular task that arises.

#8952 - 09/12/02 01:29 AM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just purchased a new Columbia River Point Guard on the weekend since I had lost my Gerber knife about a year ago. I already carry a Leatherman on my belt so the CR fits on the inside of my pocket with a clip (It comes with no sheath). One handed opening and a perfect size. <br><br>**Less than 30 minutes after returning home with my new Point Guard, I checked the pocket of an old work vest I had in the closet and found my missing Gerber!**<br><br>

#8953 - 09/12/02 01:45 AM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

I carry a Gerber Multiplier (Canadian Military Issue!) everywhere I go, (even to church!) and have always found it the most useful thing I carry. I've never had any of the Leatherman's so can't compare the two. <br><br>Over the past couple of months I've found the utility of a fixed blade knife beckoning to me, and so recently acquired a small CRKT Carson F4. I am not a fan of half plain - half serrated blades, so ordered a plain blade. What did I get?.....A half plain - half serrated blade. I ordered from a buddy out in Calgary, Alberta and it took so long to get to me, that I didn't bother sending it back, but I love the fact that it is a fixed blade and is small enough to give me a few different carry options, ie around the neck. <br><br>My next knife will probably be another CRKT, but probably either a K.I.S.S. or Stiff K.I.S.S.<br><br>I am also looking at something a little bigger for real bush work, ie in the field with the military and on Searches with my SAR Team. Any suggestions?<br><br>Iron

#8954 - 09/12/02 03:49 AM Knife for ironbird
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I know New Brunswick is a maritime clime. Will you be doing any SAR or other activities on the coast? The Grohmann/Russel series are a Canadian product and one is a service issue survival knife. People either love or hate these knives. The only other dedicated Canadian survival knife was a cut down SMLE bayonet ! I am currently using a Fallkniven as my core knife. The S/S blade is convex ground. This scares sharpeners, but is not that difficult. The exposed tang makes a fair hammering pommel. Peter of Fallkniven told me this is actually for a scandinavian method of hammer-chopping small limbs and trees. The similar arctic,sub arctic, forest and maritime regions of Sweden to your north make these an option.Tthat, or walk into a Nova Scotia bar as they are singing Amazing Grace or a Stan Rodgers sea chanty and see what's worn ;O)

#8955 - 09/12/02 12:51 PM Re: Knife for ironbird
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>or walk into a Nova Scotia bar as they are singing Amazing Grace or a Stan Rodgers sea chanty and see what's worn ;O<<<br><br>Synchronicity...<br><br>I was listening to "Barrett's Privateers" AS I READ THIS.<br><br>Got turned on to Stan Roger back in the 80's, when somebody in a cafeteria full of IBM hardware techs started singing "White Collar Holler", and EVERYBODY joined in. Felt like I was the only one who didn't know the words, and I'd never even heard the song before.<br><br>As Ted Nelson used to say, "Everything is deeply intertwingled".<br>

#8956 - 09/12/02 05:05 PM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Iron,<br><br>Check out Greco Knives . He has some nice knives at good prices ($50 US). I am ordering an older version of his MST (4.75" blade) from BladeArt.com Clearance Items. These are all carbon steel, with a coating.<br><br>Also look at the Becker line. These are solid with good prices. I really like my C/U 7, even though I prefer a shorter blade for most outdoor tasks.<br><br>If you are maritime, I agree with Chris on the Grohmann knives. I have their Boat version in stainless and like it. I particularily like their new flat ground "Camper" versions of their original saber ground knives.<br><br>If you want to spend some real money look at Rick Frigault Knives . He is an Ontario maker with some good designs. I have his Big Game Set on order.

#8957 - 09/14/02 06:12 AM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I carried a Spyderco Rescue on duty for approx. 15 years, and used it to cut more seat belts than I can remember to extricate injured parties. The one hand opening was very handy, and the combo of sheepsfoot and serrations made quick but safe work on the belts. I like 'em...but for everyday work I prefer a straight edged blade...

#8958 - 09/14/02 01:25 PM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suppose that I should have mentioned that I also carry a plain edge blade for EDC, along with my Spyderco Blue Rescue. <br><br> I've always been one that likes to be prepared for just about anything and I've found that carrying two blades--one plain, one serrated, can pretty much take care of any cutting chore that may arise. <br><br>I appreciate all of the replies, thanks.

#8959 - 09/15/02 04:18 AM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lethermans tend to cut into the hand when you apply real torque. I hate the B--t--ds which is why I choose the Scout by Gerber.<br><br>If you want a big knife get the Ka-bar Marine.<br><br>Mariner.

#8960 - 09/16/02 03:28 AM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
I was in the automotive section of my local Walmart and saw an interesting tool along those lines. It was a hammer meant for breaking a vehicle's window. The handle had a flashlight that comes on when the tool is removed from its mounting bracket and a rescue hook type blade for cutting seatbelts. I don't remember the manufacturer but the price was only $5.97 so I was a little leery of its quality.<br><br>I spent a few minutes upside down in my pickup after an unsuccessful battle with a patch of ice several years ago. I was unable to both hold myself up and unbuckle my seatbelt until a local doctor on his way back from an emergency call happened on the scene and helped out. I wasn't injured but, thinking back, if I had ended up on the other side of the highway I'd have been in the river and such a tool might have been necessary. Maybe I'll go by Walmart tomorrow....$6 isn't that much after all...

#8961 - 10/23/03 05:49 PM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Anonymous
Unregistered

I carry the Benchmade 5 rescue hook as it doesn't look like a knife and you can carry it in your wallet.

There're some issues over here about carrying a personal knife which is a no go area for the Police.

Benchmade 5 Rescue Hook

#8962 - 10/24/03 01:09 PM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Yeah I wrote about it here:
Thread link
it is a great tool. Now I'm trying to find somebody who acctually owns a Spyderco Assist knife to post his observations.

Matt

#8963 - 10/24/03 02:35 PM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Quote:
I've discovered that for most EDC utility purposes, a Victorinox MiniChamp II covers most of my needs, plus most people don't seem to get too bothered by its size.

Me too. I find myself carrying my Midnite MiniChamp II all the time now. If I need to deploy a blade outside my own home or in front of possible PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER., that's what I pull out. I use my beloved Victorinox SwissTool R/S when I feel the need for a bigger blade, which isn't often.

#8964 - 10/25/03 01:35 AM Re: Opinions on rescue knife carry
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I carry a leatherman wave on my person all the time (serrated AND smooth blade in there) but I also keep a rescue knife in each vehicle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 498 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
Yesterday at 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.